Tubeless on 819s

WBarton
WBarton Posts: 4
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Hi -

Sorry for the dumb question - probably been asked loads of times before, but I couldn't find it anywhere.....

I had a bike built up with mavic 819s.....asked for tubeless but the bike shop was lazy and stuck normal tubed set up on.

My question is.....what do I have to do to switch to tubeless? I was going to stick kenda small block 8s on for the rest of summer......and choose the UST version. But do I need do (a) buy rim tape (the rims are untaped at the moment) and (b) buy some tubeless stans gunk ?

Not sure if its worth it...But its another hardtail frame, I get loads of pinch flats from being silly, so the idea of a bigger (2.35) tyre running at lower pressure to soften things up sounds interesting.....

Thanks for your help.

Sorry if its a dopey question!

Cheers
Jono

Comments

• davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Firstly, if you specified a tubeless setup when you ordered the bike, get back to the bike shop and get them to sort it out !

Secondly, I think all 819 rims are supplied with UST valves as standard, therefore if you haven't been given them, get back to the bike shop and get your valves off them !

Any UST tyre will work with the above valves without tape and sealant. No need to tape the 819's as the rim is airtight. Also you don't need the Stans gunk with UST tyres but they don't offer the same puncture resistance against thorns etc. as a standard tyre with sealant. Standard tyres with sealant are also a slightly lighter setup than UST.
  • WBarton
    Hi Dave - thanks for the quick response, really helpful.

When I discovered they hadn't set it up tubeless, I didn't bother doing anything about it. Main reason being (oddly) I didn't like the shop I was dealing with - they mucked me around royally - and when I got the final bill, I worked out that they'd undercharged me about £300 for the new build....so I wasn't going back in a hurry...

So (amd I'm sorry for being such a dope, I actually ride a lot and am, I think, reasonably skilled) - what is the valve for a tubeless set up attached to? Do I need to buy this as a seperate piece? Or does it come with a UST tyre? And so just to confirm, no rim tape necessary, an no Stan's gunk.....although it doesn't hurt to use it?

I feel like such a knob!

But on the other hand, go Wiggans go!

Cheers
    Jono
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    The mavic valve attaches to the rim. You need to buy this as a seperate piece, just google 'Mavic UST Valve'. No tape needed with 819 rims, No Stans gunk with UST tyres, however you can run normal or tubeless ready tyres with gunk for a weight saving and better puncture resistance.
  • WBarton
    Thanks for the rapid responses - all clear now.