Jumps - Technique?

Fox1
Fox1 Posts: 12
edited July 2012 in MTB beginners
Looking to be able to do the following below, not the best video but it's one of the jumps where I ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOTR4gKL0ak

After some advice please on technique for doing jumps so I don't end up over the handle bars...

Cheers

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Wow what a crap video.

The guy in the video needs to learn to ride a berm properly.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Fox1
    That's really great advice?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    For something like that just keep your legs flexed, hit it whatever speed you feel comfortable, and then try again a bit faster.
    Don't try and pull up on the bars.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Fox1
    cool thanks for that info, I'll go give it a try today
  • Learn how to bunny hop, one of the most fundamental techniques.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Fox1 wrote:
    That's really great advice?

OK - sorry. Better advice. Don't post crap videos of people riding like crap as an example of something you want to learn. If you'd said "how do I get good enough to do this" it would make more sense.

I am no demon whipper however the basics of bunny hopping will give you a better feel for how to approach a jump. You need to flex your arms and legs down into the bike, compressing the suspension on the approac to a jump, timing the release (a sort of up, slight back manuevre) as you hit the lip. Maintain a level bike in the air, adjust to the transition, land both wheels together. Ride away looking all rad and sh*t.

In the video you posted, if you watch the last version of the jump the fella does, you can see he mistimes his jump, the fork starts extending before he makes his move. There are a fair few how to videos about on youtube - check them out and definitely try and find ones on bunny hopping.

The jump in the video would not be my first choice of places to learn technique - I'd want to find a nice little table top with a proper transition rather than a stupid pointy jump with a flat landing .
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.