Brought a Norco Sight 2 SE but need to replace it as broke

beerglass007
beerglass007 Posts: 39
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
I brought a Norco Sight 2 SE 2012 and cracked the frame

I've taken it back to Evans and its under warranty.

Now I love the bike ( when it was going ) but had 2 issues. The frame has a funny yellow strain which was getting worse and very strange. Then last weekend noticed a crack on the frame.

I'm now weighing up my options, replace frame or replace for a completely new different bike

New bike option, what bike ????

How is the Lapierre Zesty 514 2012 compared to the Norco Sight 2 SE ?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is the choice up to you?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • equinefunk
    equinefunk Posts: 323
    I had a minorpaint issue with my Norco & Evans swapped the frame. I don't think they'll give you a refund or another bike unless you've only had it a couple of days.
    I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I'm pretty sure they will warranty your frame with Norco and give you the bike back as it was. Its supposed to be a cracking (sorry) ride - how did you find it? Was it good to ride aside from the stain and crack?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • This is it...

The bike was amazing. Its just got a big "????" over it now for me.

Will it happen again, will the new frame go yellow?

Will i need another frame etc etc

I have the choice now to swap for another bike, e.g 514 maybe ?

Is this any good ? or stay with Norco and ride the storm
  • equinefunk
    Evans have given you the choice to swap to a 514? I've ridden both & preferred the Norco. They are both good bikes, but it's all about fit. All aluminium frames are fabrications & can be subject to mechanical failure. Out of a batch of x thousand there are bound to be failures. If they swap the frame you'll get the Norco Sight LE, which is black so now yellowing. I bet you'll find frame failures on 514 as well. I've ridden mine hard & I've never felt any worries everything is good. I think you've just been unlucky.

They swapped my whole frame because it had flaking paint on the rocker arm.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    equinefunk wrote:
    Evans have given you the choice to swap to a 514? I've ridden both & preferred the Norco. They are both good bikes, but it's all about fit. All aluminium frames are fabrications & can be subject to mechanical failure. Out of a batch of x thousand there are bound to be failures. If they swap the frame you'll get the Norco Sight LE, which is black so now yellowing. I bet you'll find frame failures on 514 as well. I've ridden mine hard & I've never felt any worries everything is good. I think you've just been unlucky.

Well put it this way, lapierre have a rep for cracking/snapping, I often refer to them as snapierre, a mates lasted 3 weeks before the swingarm was cleaved in two. Stick with the norco
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    I know lots of riders with 514's including myself and nobody has had any issues and awesome bikes to ride but the Norco is a good bike too, as for silly comments like "i often refer to them as snapierre" he answered his own question out of mass production you'll always get failure. I often refer to this as one of those things.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • equinefunk wrote:

Hi you sound surpised by this ? Is this a good deal ?

How and why did the Norco feel better.

I do know what you mean about the feel of the bike. I've only ridden the Norco and came from an old Spec stumpy 2006. The Norco feels like a mini DH bike and really feels stable. Very stiff uphill and pulls well

Does the 514 have that wide DH feel ?

The Norco seems to use all the travel, even when putting more air into the forks and shock. It really soaks up the hits and allowed me to get away with alot more faster riding.

If the 514 is more racey and arse in air, then its not for me.

Anyone?
  • equinefunk
    edited July 2012

I do know what you mean about the feel of the bike. I've only ridden the Norco and came from an old Spec stumpy 2006. The Norco feels like a mini DH bike and really feels stable. Very stiff uphill and pulls well

The Norco seems to use all the travel, even when putting more air into the forks and shock. It really soaks up the hits and allowed me to get away with alot more faster riding.

If the 514 is more racey and ars* in air, then its not for me.

Anyone?

By surprised do you mean that they would offer another bike instead of the Norco Sight. I am, I thought they would limit their responsibility solely to the Frame & get Norco to sort it out. Rather than say, we'll take that back & you choose another bike. If that's what they're doing that's a lot more than any of my LBS's.

I'm not that eliquent to say in detail why I preferred the Norco, for me & my size & build it felt a better fit. I felt that instantly at home on it. I love getting out and riding it, I go out 3 times a week and pound out 20mile XC rides, I do Trail Centres & tackle stuff that I didn't before. I thought it was a bit better value in terms of kit as well, full XT is cracking. I wouldn't wish for another 26" Trail Bike.

The Zesty is a fantastic bike & I was close to buying. But I didn't feel as at home on it when I sat on it & rode it.

As an analogy it's the difference between an Audi & a BMW.....

If you're worried about future frame failures, are you thinking it's a flawed design that is prone to failure? I doubt it these are from BC & the Engineer has a Rolls Royce background. Or that the Manufacuring is not upto scratch? I don't know much about Bike manufacture but I believe that most of these frames are made in Taiwan, which I guess the Zesty is....maybe in the same factory.
  • Stu Coops
    equinefunk wrote:

If the 514 is more racey and ars* in air, then its not for me.

Anyone?

By surprised do you mean that they would offer another bike instead of the Norco Sight. I am, I thought they would limit their responsibility solely to the Frame & get Norco to sort it out. Rather than say, we'll take that back & you choose another bike. If that's what they're doing that's a lot more than any of my LBS's.

I'm not that eliquent to say in detail why I preferred the Norco, for me & my size & build it felt a better fit. I felt that instantly at home on it. I love getting out and riding it, I go out 3 times a week and pound out 20mile XC rides, I do Trail Centres & tackle stuff that I didn't before. I thought it was a bit better value in terms of kit as well, full XT is cracking. I wouldn't wish for another 26" Trail Bike.

The Zesty is a fantastic bike & I was close to buying. But I didn't feel as at home on it when I sat on it & rode it.

As an analogy it's the difference between an Audi & a BMW.....

If you're worried about future frame failures, are you thinking it's a flawed design that is prone to failure? I doubt it these are from BC & the Engineer has a Rolls Royce background. Or that the Manufacuring is not upto scratch? I don't know much about Bike manufacture but I believe that most of these frames are made in Taiwan, which I guess the Zesty is....maybe in the same factory.[/quote]

I wouldn't say it has a DH feel about it compared to a full on DH rig but I have given mine some serious punishment on saying that i'm no Danny Hart as for racy i'd say and head down arse up not really it will happily climb, go down well and everything in between just a good all rounder really "just my opinion" hope that helps
  • Hi just read through you posts and what did evans say about the yellowing!! I've had mine for two weeks an love it! Only been out once to llandegla. But I noticed the yellowing after about a week on the headset and it's been gettin worse since. It also appeared round the cranks and on some nuts! Is this happening to all White frames! Or is it just a few! Obviously doesn't effect the ride but for £2.5k you'd expect it to last longer than a week!
    Any info will be much appreciated!
  • Hi just read through you posts and what did evans say about the yellowing!! I've had mine for two weeks an love it! Only been out once to llandegla. But I noticed the yellowing after about a week on the headset and it's been gettin worse since. It also appeared round the cranks and on some nuts! Is this happening to all White frames! Or is it just a few! Obviously doesn't effect the ride but for £2.5k you'd expect it to last longer than a week!
    Any info will be much appreciated!

Added some more to this thread

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12868036
  • When I brought the bike

7687565762_01a0b00d0f_c.jpg

Few weeks later

7687564642_0426618648_c.jpg

Then the cracked frame

7687565262_0c73fab8ea_c.jpg

7687564928_a66ec7ee27_c.jpg
  • http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/mtb/all-mountain/zesty/zesty-514#onglets

Are these any good

Would anyone recommend a zesy 314 or 514 ?

I've been looking at the spesh stumpty EVO 2013 but wondering if the extra 150MM long travel and only a 15MM bolt and 32MM forks will flex like hell

Anyone ?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/mtb/all-mountain/zesty/zesty-514#onglets

Are these any good

Would anyone recommend a zesy 314 or 514 ?

I've been looking at the spesh stumpty EVO 2013 but wondering if the extra 150MM long travel and only a 15MM bolt and 32MM forks will flex like hell

Anyone ?

You had a bike which cracked & want to replace it with a Lappierre, a manufacturer which is known for producing weak frames.
    Any frame can crack. No matter which manufacturer or design there will be material flaws & welding faults. Some frames have just got weak designs which will be prone to cracking, my Giant Reign X broke two linkages and it's a common fault. Lappierre frames are also known for cracking, I know two people who have cracked the back end of their Zesty's and everyone I have met with DH720's has cracked their frames.
  • Ok, so sounds like a lapierre isnt a good buy

What about the spesh Stumpty FSR EVO COMP 2013?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Good bike but I would rather have the Norco, it's a great ride & it sounds like you just got a bad frame. I would take the new frame and enjoy a great bike.
  • Has anyone had a problem with the bearing in the blue rocker collapsing? Mine's just fell to bits halfway round a lap of Llandegla and ground a bit of alloy away from the rocker. It's about 8 months old and only gets used about twice a month, mostly at Llandegla. Also, when it was about 3 months old, it snapped the lower swingarm bolt off at Gizburn. This is apparently a fairy common faliure?

Although I've had a few issues, I still love the Norco. It rides ace. Mine's an SE with the fox forks in white(and a bit of yellow ;) ).

Col.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bearings are usually treated as consumables and need regular checking. The bolt issues I have heard of and is not a consumable: if this contributed to the bearing failure then you have a claim against them.
  • paulyh101
    paulyh101 Posts: 78
    Hi i bought a 2012 Norco sight2 se in the middle of last year from Evans Birmingham I have had bikes almost twice as expensive and the hype about this machine is all true it outrides and performs way above its price ,and is probably the nicest bike i have ever owned .
    However it does have an achillies heal which is a shocking standard of aftercare supplied by Evans Cycles after having the bike only 12 weeks or so the rear bearings nearest the the rear deraliur failed i returned the bike and was shocked to find out they were not a warranty item and the only explanation given was overuse. I was then informed no bearings were available and the only choice i had was to wait .I did ask for the bearing numbers made one call and got the unobtainable replacements drop shipped to the store the next day at my own expense.

The store agreed to fit them FOC and supply me with a full set of replacements from Norco I collected the bike the day after and upon collection was given the faulty bearings upon inspection the inner race,s on both of them was cracked thru i spoke to my bearing supplier as i was intrigued to find out how riding a bike 12 times could do so much damage . As they pointed out to me by the amount of paint inside and on the casing they were probably never seated correctly or over torqued on assembly.

Strangely the unobtainable bearings that replaced them are still going strong after 8 months and the really sad thing is its now Feb 2013 and guess what still no bearings in sight (Pardon the Pun ).

I really find it hard not to love my bike but really feel that before you give a test score a bigger picture needs to be looked at i pointed out to Evans if i hadnt made the call my bike would still be in there workshop gathering dust .

Latest update the bearings have been dispatched from Venus on the 21st of February however due to unforseen Alien activity they still havent arrived and today i went into to my LBS and they told me not to ride it until they are replaced . :cry:
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops wrote:
    I know lots of riders with 514's including myself and nobody has had any issues and awesome bikes to ride but the Norco is a good bike too, as for silly comments like "i often refer to them as snapierre" he answered his own question out of mass production you'll always get failure. I often refer to this as one of those things.

This is spot on ive had a 514 for 2yrs and had no issues a all.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I'm not surprised you agree with that StuCoops, seeing as you wrote it and all.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    PMSL
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Another mark against Lapierre today, mates cracked his zesty at the rear dropout, second lapierre frame to go at our uni club in the last year, three bikes and two different frame cracks, the other was DH720
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are lapierre using Commies frame making facilty?

For the OP, the yellow staining is a major issue on all white Norco's it seems.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Stu Coops wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:

Brilliant, you've made my day.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • b_real
    b_real Posts: 157
    Stu Coops wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:

I've been having a shite day until I read that. Brilliant.
    Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.
  • paulyh101
    paulyh101 Posts: 78
    Another update the bearings have Not arrived and over the weekend i have upgraded the drivetrain on my Norco and the plan was to put the xt drivetrain on my other bike as im converting it to 2 x10 and have sold some of the old parts I collected the Norco yesterday from my LBS and was told not to ride it as all the bearings apart from the ones i got myself are fooked .
    Brilliant 2 bikes one in pieces and one complete but unusable
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd be back to Eavns asking for compensation or rescind your contract.
  • Subsy
    Subsy Posts: 36
    Stu Coops wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:

+1

Me too

I concur

:lol::lol: