Holy Crap i'm so unfit!

BikernatS
BikernatS Posts: 57
Took my new Voodoo Bantu out for a realy quick spin this afternoon (4 miles max). Just down a few tracks near my house, no major up hill sections but a steady incline all the way up the lanes and I was knackard!!!!

I can't believe how unfit I am :( I hike often and don't struggle carrying weight and such so I guess it's just thats my muscles are working in a different way when i'm cycling. Hoping to get into it properly when my pump and stuff arrives (don't dare venture far yet as you can guarentee i'll end up with a puncture).

Soo hoping my fitness improves soon :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is the thing, you are using different muscles and it will fatigue you quick to start. The key is to fuel up properly, take plenty of liquid and energy food with you, and after rides, REST! To start you should be resting for a day or two after every ride. Plus remember to eat properly after a ride too ie protein/carb based meal. A bowl of tuna pasta salad is very good.
  • BikernatS
    Yeh i'm thinking the same :) I'm a physiotherapy student so you'd have thought i'd have realised lol! Will make sure to eat and drink properly and remember to take my camelback along too, reason I didn't as it was such a short ride. Got a headache now so i'm guessing it still made me dehydrated...

Got work tomorrow so wont be on the bike, but thinking of going to Guisborough forest on friday so i'll realy see how unfit I am!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just don't overdo it, I'm sure you find a routine that works.

Maybe you can help me with my pulled ligaments in my foot if a physio student lol! Bloody killing!
  • BikernatS
    Ill try not to but i'm excited about riding my bike :D sadly without seeing you I don't think I could help lol!
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb Posts: 111
    the first few days i was riding my bike to work and back i was absolutely knackered. but now im perfectly fine, im still out of breath during my riding but find my recovery afterwards is minimal compared to the half an hour at the beggining. your fitness will improve but it will take a bit of time.
    i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    Just keep riding every 2-3 days with a day off inbetween and you'll soon get used to it.

I know it's not riding but I'm near the end of the NHS couch to 5km running program. I've found it's done wonders for my fitness that has really crossed over into my biking, i.e. I can now ride for half an hour whilst totally shagged and out of breath. Look it up on google
  • BikernatS
    Went to Errington Woods today at New Maske. Managed just under 2 hours, with a few 5 min breaks lol. Not sure how many miles..... Felt realy unfit again lol but realy enjoyed it, despite being a chicken on most of the trails... especially on steep sections :(

xEPzi.jpg

But second time out can't realy expect much from myself I guess and things will improve the more I ride I guess :)

All in all it was very enjoyable :)