9speed cassestte to 10 speed.

spr wheelie
spr wheelie Posts: 110
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
just a question out of curiosity, are bike frames made with a size of rear cassete in mind.

for example would you be able to change a 9 speed cassette for a 10 speed and what other components would need changed.

i think i read somewhere that an 8 and 9 speed cassete were the same size with a 9th gear just squeezed in but im not sure.

thanks for reading all.
sight 3 se

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Check FAQ

Yes you can do 9 to 10 speed.

New cassette, chain, rear mech and rear shifter at the least.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not worth even thinking about it.
    8,9 and 10 speed cassettes are the same width. 7 with a spacer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

Why not? If you need a new transmission and you're mech's a bit sloppy I'd definitely consider it.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    10spd chains are more expensive and I really don't think there's any real difference. IMO a 36t on the cassette is pointless will a double+ chainset.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • njee20
    But an 11-36 cassette means more folk will get away with either a double or single up front. There are plenty of expensive 9 speed chains, no reason to pay more for a 10 speed one. More deals on 10 speed cassettes too generally, Rose Bikes etc.
  • snotty badger
    I run a 11-32 with a double in the Lakes, so I'm not sold on a 11-36. Even with a 32 at the back it's more efficient to jump off and walk when in the granny.

Horses for courses though, maybe when we're all forced onto 29" wheels we will need a 36t cassette!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • cooldad
    njee20 wrote:

Why not? If you need a new transmission and you're mech's a bit sloppy I'd definitely consider it.
    Apollo Phaze in sig?- without being nasty, the transmission would be worth more than the bike.

I was even comtemplating going back to 8 speed over the weekend when everything was gummed up with crud.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    I run a 11-32 with a double in the Lakes, so I'm not sold on a 11-36. Even with a 32 at the back it's more efficient to jump off and walk when in the granny.

Ok, not everyone's the same. An 11-36 would allow you to run a double with larger rings, if you so desired. Or like I say, to run a single ring up front. Presumably you run a 22/36 or something? Personally I'd find that too small, rather have 28/42 or something, in which case the 36 gives a lower gear.
  • snotty badger
    Yeah 22 36, it's very rare I see top ratio (36fr 11rr) if fact only on downhill road sections between trails. So larger rings wouldn't be any use either, to me on that bike (Pitch).

It's rare I use the granny gear too, only when I'm making a point of trying to beat a hill!

Sorry no sale on 10spd here!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • njee20
    Right, but not everyone is the same, I'm not trying to sell you 10 speed :roll:

I ride on the road to get to the trails, for which a gear higher than 36-11 is desirable (not essential, currently run 1x10 with 11-36 with a 36t ring). I'd not run 1x9, I think 36-34 would be a little tall as a bottom gear, and 34-11 definitely wouldn't be a high enough gear on the road.
  • snotty badger
    I was just giving my reasons to your "Why not?".

Some people might see a genuine benefit, some are just sucked in by marketing. I'm sure it wouldnt be impossible to have a 36 11 9spd cassette, but then 10spd would lose some of its appeal IMO.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • njee20
    Very true, and there is a 12-36, but an 11-up would have big jumps, which I personally notice a bit anyway with a 10 speed in the higher gears.

That's not an answer to why not to consider it though, it's why you don't think it'll work for you. So I stand by my 'it's worth considering' statement, particularly when it's not necessarily more expensive.
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    I'm sure it wouldnt be impossible to have a 36 11 9spd cassette,

AFAIK there was a short lived Deore cassette, was rather heavy, if that matters.
    Giant Reign X1
  • snotty badger
    It is a bit more expensive though :wink:

Take Powerlinks £4.99 for 3 9spd ones, £7.99 for 2 10 spd ones, that if not mistaken are one hit wonders? And the chains are a few more quid too, I'll give you cassettes cost about the same. By the time you factor in a new shifter and mech it adds up, it will be worth to some but not all.

Have you noticed any difference in its lifespan?
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • njee20
    It is a bit more expensive though :wink:

Take Powerlinks £4.99 for 3 9spd ones, £7.99 for 2 10 spd ones, that if not mistaken are one hit wonders?

Fairly irrelevant example though, I've never bought a power link after market. SRAM ones are Power Locks, but KMC and others do a re-usable one.

Cassettes is more relevant IMO: 9 speed XT is £45 on CRC (10 speed is £47). 10 speed is €45 at Actionsports, 9 speed is €50.

Not really found durability to differ either way. XX chainrings were utter toss, and lasted a few months, but the cassette lasted pretty well (as it should for £320). Current XTR cassette on the race wheels was worn after 6 months, but is still ok with the worn chain. Chains seem to last better, but I suspect that's from using 1x10 and thus avoiding such nasty chain lines.
  • spr wheelie
    cheers for all the info boys.

im not thinking of doing anything to the phaze. (its more than enough bike anyway :.) ) but just looking for whats possible to do with my next bike.

im fairly new and not tried any of the fancy gearing set ups so just info on about changing things to try and spannering about is what am after.

cheers again.
    sight 3 se
  • spr wheelie
    sorry been thinking about this again. but why would you need a differnt chain?

genuine question are the teeth on sprockets spaced differntly on a bigger cassette or is it somthing less obvious?
    sight 3 se
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Actually thinking the same myself, SLX is out next year with the clutch system- which I hope will help prevent against chain suck, my bane in life. (I even get suck running new 9 speed chains and gears )
    Don't think, BE:
  • cooldad
    sorry been thinking about this again. but why would you need a differnt chain?

genuine question are the teeth on sprockets spaced differntly on a bigger cassette or is it somthing less obvious?
    Because the cogs are closr together so the chain needs to be thinner. The inside dimensions are the same, just the plates are a bit thinner. I think.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    Actually thinking the same myself, SLX is out next year with the clutch system- which I hope will help prevent against chain suck, my bane in life. (I even get suck running new 9 speed chains and gears}

You realise Shadow Plus is 10 speed, so you'll have to upgrade?