Flat pedals?

mog666
mog666 Posts: 68
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, looking at purchasing the nano tech flat pedals but are unsure which to choose between the flats and the thru-pin version?? Anyone roll with either of these or could tell me if one has an advantage over the other? I see theyre slightly different shapes, think i prefer the look of the flats better?

Comments

• acac
    acac Posts: 348
    play hard ride hard
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    thru pin, easier to replace pins when they snap

and these are good pedals

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=194
  • mog666
    acac, they look sweet, very similar to the nanos in shape! Are these strong pedals?
  • mog666
    Estampida, thanks for advice, i just looked at ur link and have just noticed the mag lites too, hmmm!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    mog666 wrote:
    acac, they look sweet, very similar to the nanos in shape! Are these strong pedals?

They are the same as the nanos ;-). Tough pedal, but look at the Wellgo MG1 too.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i ride both they both good pedals,
    i can honestly say i never snapped a pin on a pedal,, i ripped them out of the pedal,, just go for the ones you like the look of most,, they both as good as each other.
  • mog666
    Thanks for the input guys, just which ones now lol :-/
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use nano thru pin pedals and they are the best pedals I have owned. I also have Welgo MG1's which are nowhere near ad good, not as grippy or as comfortable.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nowhere near as good? They are easily as good, even better with longer with longer pins. Have better bearings, are lighter, larger platform.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It is a larger platform but somehow just not as comfortable as my Nano's. They aren't as grippy, even with the longer pins. I don't trust them on my DH bike as much as the Nano's The bearings may be better but after two years use my Nano's are still nice & smooth.
    Pedals can be a personal thing, some people really like DMR V8's, I think they are useless, same with Gusset Slim Jims.
    I have ordered some Saint pedals, just because I found some for £40. I'm hoping they are as good as they look.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have some of those cheapo wellgo v8 copies - having had to lend my bike to a newbie friend and ride her cousins hardtail at the bike park for an afternoon I have discovered my wellgo's are crap - my feet were better planted on the hardtail as the pedals were just better - dont know the make (they had NIN on them but I don't think the band make pedals as well as terrible music do they?).

Looking for new pedals now.....
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Random pointless post??^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    estampida wrote:
    thru pin, easier to replace pins when they snap

Are they though? Have you got them / replaced any?

I've never had the thru pin design so can't comment, but the problem I see with them is.... Seeing as the pin goes through the pedal, what happens to the thread in the nice soft alloy body when you try to unscrew the mangled/bent stainless steel cap screw? Surely it aint gona be good for the thread?

With the normal grub screws its simple. Allen key to fit the new pins, mole grips to remove damaged pins.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I wouldn't get threw pin, had a couple of pedals designed this way, and its very easy witha pedal bash to smash pins threw the back of the pedal ripping the threads out so you can never replace them.