Which screw

Dan_Giant
Dan_Giant Posts: 72
edited July 2012 in Workshop
Tonight I noticed that when I'm in the bottom gear on the rear cassette that it makes a clicking noise where the chain is obviously rubbing something it shouldn't.

I have Sora gears, so was just wondering which screw it would be to adjust to stop it. From what I could see there were 3 to choose from.

The gears move smoothly and quietly the rest of the time and it doesnt seem to make a difference which cog I'm on at the front.

I've only done a few rides on the bike since new a few weeks ago, so it's just bedding in. I could take it back to the shop but I'd rather just sort it myself if it's just a screw.

Thanks

Dan.

Comments

• houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    I'm no expert,but I'd find out where it's catching before you adjust anything.
    You say it's when you're in the small gear on the back,it's not the chain catching the front derailleur is it? If you are in the small ring on the front?
    Does the sora's have the ability to move just a little ( think its called micro shift )?
    Two of the screws on the mech are limit screw,if the bike was set up correctly you shouldn't need to touch those.
    And anyways,if it's only a couple of weeks old and it's not too far,I'd pop it back to the shop and have a chat with them about it.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    It sounds like the rear isn't centered, ie: the jockey wheel on the derailleur isn't centered on the current sprocket.

It could also be the chain rubbing at the front derailleur. Take it to a shop if you aren't sure.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... derailleur

It's the lower of the two screws on the back of the rear mech - marked with an L - unscrew it (anti-clockwise) one half-turn and see whether that makes a difference. Unscrewing it too far can cause the chain to jump off and even worse, the rear mech ending up in the rear spokes so be careful.
    If you have had an 'off' and the rear mech hit the ground, then you may have knocked the frame hanger out of alignment - suggest you take it to your LBS if that's the case.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a good read of the info on Parktools will help explain what eveything does.

but as the stop screws do not tend to need any adjustment once set i would 1 look at the mech hanger has it been bent. and the tension in the wire. which may be being held back due to some muck.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    nicklouse wrote:
    a good read of the info on Parktools will help explain what eveything does.

but as the stop screws do not tend to need any adjustment once set i would 1 look at the mech hanger has it been bent. and the tension in the wire. which may be being held back due to some muck.

Best comment so far...
    As the bike is only a few weeks old, its highly likely (and expected) that the cable will have stretched a little. Thats quite normal, ive just had the same on mine.
    Logically, as the cable stretches, it's less able to pull the derailleur as much as it should, leaving you slightly out of adjustment on the top gog.
    Give the barrel adjuster on the rear mech half a turn, try the gears, if they're not quite there' give it another half turn....just find the spot that works.

I recommend NEVER playing with the adjuster screws on deraillers unless you're just setting them up. You can't even do it properly with the chain on.