SPD Shoes?

A16UYF
A16UYF Posts: 66
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey all,

Just a quick one,

I am looking for a new pair of SPD shoes, mainly for trail riding but want them comfortable enough for hiking with the bike and popping into the pub along the way as well as at the end of the ride.

I was thinking something along the touring sort of route but I do quite like the pearl izumi ones.

Any suggestions and recommendations welcome,

Thanks in advance.
Cube Sting SCR (custom build)
Spesh allez (factory build)

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    A16UYF wrote:
    I am looking for a new pair of SPD shoes, mainly for trail riding but want them comfortable enough for hiking with the bike and popping into the pub along the way as well as at the end of the ride.

All spd shoes have very stiff soles for increased pedal efficiency. This would make them very hard to hike in, I certainly wouldn't want to, bar the odd muddy hill I can't get up. Maybe consider strapping another pair of shoes to your pack? By hiking, do you mean up the odd hill, or taking the bike apart and strapping it to a rucksack or something else? You may be better considering walking type shoes and decent flat pedals.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    yeah not sure about hiking. You'd be better off using flats if there's gonna be plenty of walking going on.

If you just mean chucking the bike over your shoulder and scrambling over a few rocks or through the odd stream and you don't wanna look a total wally in the boozer I'd probably go for something like these;

Five Ten Cyclone Freeride SPD;
    63971.jpg
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • A16UYF
    A16UYF Posts: 66
    Yeah what i meant by hiking was the carrying of my bike up the bits i cant ride.

Has anyone got shoes by Pearl Izumi? and what are they like?
    Cube Sting SCR (custom build)
    Spesh allez (factory build)
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Well mountain bike spd shoes are a bit more flexy than road shoes with better tread for more grip when walking. I use M077's with no problems.