Colnago Master 30th Anniversary

beancounter
beancounter Posts: 369
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
http://www.colnago.com/master/

Love these art decor colour schemes.

These are going to be c.£2100 for the frame and fork. Is this a crazy price for a steel frame in this day and age? I didn't pay very much more than that for my C50.

Anyone else likely to succumb to temptation?

bc
2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
2010 Colnago C50
2005 Colnago C40
2002 Colnago CT1
2010 Colnago World Cup
2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
2009 Merckx LXM
1995 Lemond Gan Team

Comments

• bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I love them as well, but too much money for me, and I have 2 cracking steel Enigmas already, so hardly need another!

You can pay a LOT of money once you start to spec a high end steel frame from a quality builder, so given its Colnago and a special edition, I guess you might think its not sooooo bad. Given the number of fat middle aged Italians I rode past on £5000+ Colnagos on the Maratona last weekend, I doubt they'll have too much trouble shifting loads :D
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • mjbennett
    mjbennett Posts: 532
    All style over substance. The material they're using isn't particularly special. If they used columbus xcr or reynolds 953 i think the price would be more reasonable.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    I love the black one! The waiting list for a standard Master was up to 4 months so god knows how long it will take to get one of these :shock:

I'm off to pick up my Saronni Red bike in a few hours :-)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    No it's not too much, when you look at others and then you look at these fantastic paint schemes, worth every penny for the heritage of the company imo ...
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Sooo tempted. I like the blue one.

I'm sure Maestro will be cheaper...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'm a Colnago owner, but the prices aren't great value these days as the same frame was only £1200 a few years ago. Particularly considering you can buy a similar quality frame from the likes of Pelizzoli for 1000 Euros. I agree that if the tubing was polished XCR it would be more worthy of consideration. In terms of pricing for a steel frame, a Pegoretti Responsorium is £3600 and the waiting list is over 18 months.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    Similar heritage and much cheaper, you can treat yourself to a tommasini techno or prestige. Master are still awesome, but the price is ludicrous.
    As for pegoretti, as monty mentioned... Colour schemes are shocking.
    left the forum March 2023
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I'm absolutely loving my 89 Eddy Merckx in Columbus TSX. It's not just the tubing but how it's put together and the geometry...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I'm absolutely loving my 89 Eddy Merckx in Columbus TSX. It's not just the tubing but how it's put together and the geometry...

I bet you are... Merckx frames are very racey... Same as moser ones... They carry the names of pretty fast guys, after all... 8)
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    When I ever can afford the sheer luxury to have a frame that is only ridden in the dry and for pleasure not speed, then it would have to be the master in Saroni Red, only to be ridden on lazy days when you have no intention of breaking into a sweat...chance would be a fine thing! :roll: 8)
  • I recently purchased a Colnago Master 30th Anniversary in AD04 (art decor black). I had purchased a 1985 Master about eight months ago on EBay. Best riding bike I have ever owned. Unfortunately the classic Master had been damaged and repaired badly ( unknown to me). When the old frame broke I decided to purchase a new Master frame.
    The new Master is the best bike I have ever ridden. I own several "high end" bikes but none compare with my new Master. Great handling, comfort, stiffness and undoubtedly the best looking bike I have ever ridden. Complete bike with 11 speed Campy Chorus is just over 19 pounds. Somewhat heavy by today's "high end" standards but the bike doesn't ride "heavy" at all. I was fortunate the US distributor had my size in stock and my wait was just a couple of weeks. Sizing is different than most bikes. I generally ride a 56 to 58. My Master is a 59. Bike should be purchased according to top tube length. Also, a Colnago rides better with a long stem and set-back seat post.
    The Colnago Master 30th Anniversery is my dream bike and I couldn't be happier. Highly recommended.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    mjbennett wrote:
    All style over substance. The material they're using isn't particularly special. If they used columbus xcr or reynolds 953 i think the price would be more reasonable.
    I got the frame & forks for £1100 4 years ago and very glad I did. As much as I love my bike and will never part with it, or even consider any upgrade, I wouldn't pay that price today.
    Re the material. AFAIK the grade is secret, I tried hard to find out more but couldn't. All I know is that the profile will strengthen the frame so thinner (lighter) tubing can be used. And that profile can't be cheap to manufacture.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mjbennett wrote:

the new Master is all substance,and a lot of style....
    the new star shaped tubes,not more Gilco,are simply special,very stiff and light.
    xcr is only an expensive steel,not so "stainless" like 953,a real stainless steel.
    I prefer a "true" steel like the Master.
    Bianchi campione del mondo/Cinelli supercorsa/Colnago eps/Colnago master xl/Colnago master xl/De Rosa professional slx/De Rosa slx/De rosa nuovo classico/Legend sella ronda/Pegoretti palosanto/Somec leader/Telavio/Telavio/Tommasini tecnoextra/Zullo tvm
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    I agree, the beauty of these things goes as deep as the paint. It's a throwback frameset and not a high performance bike.

The tubing is not cuting edge (read: slag iron) and no, they'd defo NOT be cheaper if they were made from XCR or 953, that would proke them to double the price.

If you want a bike to look at they're beautiful, the white version of PR83 is gorgeous, as is the Zabel blue verion (PRZA?). But if you want a bike to ride, get a Focus or Cannondale carbon.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • daviesee
    I agree, the beauty of these things goes as deep as the paint. It's a throwback frameset and not a high performance bike.

The tubing is not cuting edge (read: slag iron) and no, they'd defo NOT be cheaper if they were made from XCR or 953, that would proke them to double the price.

If you want a bike to look at they're beautiful, the white version of PR83 is gorgeous, as is the Zabel blue verion (PRZA?). But if you want a bike to ride, get a Focus or Cannondale carbon.
    I'll bite.
    First up, have you ridden one?
    Main point - Slag iron? Based on what? It is made of steel so should be relatively heavy. That it is lighter than expected means the grade must be high quality.
    I wouldn't swap mine for a top end Cannondale, far less a Focus.
  • daviesee wrote:

I'll bite.
    First up, have you ridden one?
    Main point - Slag iron? Based on what? It is made of steel so should be relatively heavy. That it is lighter than expected means the grade must be high quality.
    I wouldn't swap mine for a top end Cannondale, far less a Focus.

What he said.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    My 1984 Gios handles like a dream - the Columbus SL tubes suit my weight and style perfectly and don't batter me like many modern frames - there's relatively little that's changed since in frame geometry, so modern bikes are down to materials and components. I was offered a Master about 3 years ago in my size for £900 - regrettably I didn't take it as I was downsizing my fleet.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I agree, the beauty of these things goes as deep as the paint. It's a throwback frameset and not a high performance bike.

If a frame set celebrates 30 years, there must be something good about it, beside the look. The Focus and the Cannondale will be "last year model" in July... :roll:
  • Well I've succumbed to temptation and ordered mine, in red.

Probably have it sometime in spring, which is nice.

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • FransJacques
    But this is the epitome of "last year's model" recycled again and again. Look, these are good museum pieces for admiring throw-back technology, I can't see how you can make a case that they're "light" amazing performance bikes.

The paint is lovely, not that it matters to the debat but I had a '98 Mapei Master Olympic which is essentially the same frame apart from the 1" HT and plugged-in dropouts. Even in '98 this was seen as a heavy frame suitable for northern races over cobbles (Frans Massen, Van Hooydonck etc.) so in 2013 they debate is not any stronger. I replaced the Master Olly with a tig-welded Lemond Zurich 853 that I still own. It was at least 200 grams lighter and stiffer than the MO.

Just trying to bring a sense of proportion. The bikes are gorgeous but even 14-15 years ago there were already 'technologies' eclipsing the Master: TIG welding, oversized (e.g. >32mm dia.) tubing, air-hardened steel (thermacrom/853) and carbon forks were emerging at the time. My p.o.v. doesn't come via rose-tinted glasses that 1997 steel was the height of anything. Debate on this is good. Don't forget that even Colnago tried to massively overhaul the Master with carbon front and rear ends, etc. People forget that.

So buy them for the paint, but if you want a lovely Italian steel bike that's a bit more cutting edge the DeRosa Corum or a Pergoretti is worth a look.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • But this is the epitome of "last year's model" recycled again and again. Look, these are good museum pieces for admiring throw-back technology, I can't see how you can make a case that they're "light" amazing performance bikes.

They are amazing perofrmance bikes, I've just said it... you choose the hill and I will climb it on my 1980s steel bike, you can use your Cannondale, the winner gets a beer... deal? :wink:
  • But this is the epitome of "last year's model" recycled again and again.

Who cares? It's a Master ffs
    So buy them for the paint

I have...
    but if you want a lovely Italian steel bike that's a bit more cutting edge the DeRosa Corum or a Pergoretti is worth a look.

I don't. But thanks :)

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • I've got a fantastic modern blinged out race proven sub UCI weight limit all singing all dancing road bike and I've got a Master. While the former is used for long days in the saddle and up the hardest gradients, the latter is for taking out on the best of days when the sun is shining but I have no intention of breaking into a sweat. I just enjoy the comfortable ride with a massive smile on my face.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    But this is the epitome of "last year's model" recycled again and again. Look, these are good museum pieces for admiring throw-back technology, I can't see how you can make a case that they're "light" amazing performance bikes.

They are amazing perofrmance bikes, I've just said it... you choose the hill and I will climb it on my 1980s steel bike, you can use your Cannondale, the winner gets a beer... deal? :wink:

Alternatively simply post said beer tokens to Mr Ugo, Richmond. 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • FransJacques
    smidsy wrote:

A forum throw-down, I love it. Thanks for the offer! We should do it this summer, would be fun as a chance to meet up and check out wheels. I promise to bring the the most carbony un-lugged rig I own. (Will leave the other Colnago, a CT-2, at home.) Any beer you like is yours. I'm not a drinker but some Palombini beans would go down well :-) http://www.palombiniespresso.com/
  • smidsy wrote:

A forum throw-down, I love it. Thanks for the offer! We should do it this summer, would be fun as a chance to meet up and check out wheels. I promise to bring the the most carbony un-lugged rig I own. (Will leave the other Colnago, a CT-2, at home.) Any beer you like is yours. I'm not a drinker but some Palombini beans would go down well :-) http://www.palombiniespresso.com/

Deal, summer is best... I won't get my tubulars out before April anyway
  • I agree, the beauty of these things goes as deep as the paint. It's a throwback frameset and not a high performance bike.

do you know who make the new star shaped tubes for Colnago?
    please,tell us.
    I've got two masters xlight,a 2002's and a 2010 one,in the same frame size and with the same wheels and groupset,there is a clear advantage for the newer in terms of weight and stiffness....
    have you ridden a new(from 2010) master?
    Bianchi campione del mondo/Cinelli supercorsa/Colnago eps/Colnago master xl/Colnago master xl/De Rosa professional slx/De Rosa slx/De rosa nuovo classico/Legend sella ronda/Pegoretti palosanto/Somec leader/Telavio/Telavio/Tommasini tecnoextra/Zullo tvm
  • But this is the epitome of "last year's model" recycled again and again. Look, these are good museum pieces for admiring throw-back technology, I can't see how you can make a case that they're "light" amazing performance bikes.

The paint is lovely, not that it matters to the debat but I had a '98 Mapei Master Olympic which is essentially the same frame apart from the 1" HT and plugged-in dropouts. Even in '98 this was seen as a heavy frame suitable for northern races over cobbles (Frans Massen, Van Hooydonck etc.) so in 2013 they debate is not any stronger. I replaced the Master Olly with a tig-welded Lemond Zurich 853 that I still own. It was at least 200 grams lighter and stiffer than the MO.

Just trying to bring a sense of proportion. The bikes are gorgeous but even 14-15 years ago there were already 'technologies' eclipsing the Master: TIG welding, oversized (e.g. >32mm dia.) tubing, air-hardened steel (thermacrom/853) and carbon forks were emerging at the time. My p.o.v. doesn't come via rose-tinted glasses that 1997 steel was the height of anything. Debate on this is good. Don't forget that even Colnago tried to massively overhaul the Master with carbon front and rear ends, etc. People forget that.

So buy them for the paint, but if you want a lovely Italian steel bike that's a bit more cutting edge the DeRosa Corum or a Pergoretti is worth a look.
    tig welding is only a simple way to join two tubes,have you never seen a lugged bike in a supermarket?
    I've a Pegoretti palosanto,do you know that mr. Pegoretti doesn't use any device against the rust?
    Colnago does,in and out the tube.....
    do you want to speak about the performance between the Peg and a 2002 master xl?
    no match,being the master better everywhere,in climbing,downhill and plane.
    the new master is another thing.....
  • FransJacques
    Interesting thoughts on the tweaks to the Master over the years, sono interessato a conoscere i tuoi "insider" segreti... I know they changed suppliers from Columbus to Dedacciai. Maybe they've changed again..doesn't keep me up.

Last Master I rode was a lovely white '06 with steel CS, carbon SS, and 1" Star fork. Paint was PR03 bit like this: http://www.81496.com/jouhou/2006/colnag ... taywht.jpg Gorgeous. It was not that stiff but was nice enough. Was heavy like the old '98.
  • daviesee
    Keeping the developments accurate - My 2008 Master has the profiled tubing in the main triangle so it started before 2010.