best brakes on a budget

2»

Comments

• One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    Are the brakes sharp and working fine. thats all that matters really. can you lock rear wheel while seated??
    can you do an endo seated with front brake? if so then i cant see how better or sharper could be any better really.
    Boardman comp 2012
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Q:
    how do you tell when the pads are past their best?
    A:
    The brakes are Shockingly bad!
    the pads are rubbing on one side and they feel like they need bled too

Sounds like you have pretty much answered all of your own questions. Change pads (probably contaminated), clean rotors with alchohol, bleed.
  • No, that's why they are shocking!

Can't lock the front wheel, can do an endo only if I lean over the front of the bike (to the point where I can almost do it without braking).

Back wheel doesn't lock either unless I really really REALLY squeeze. They ain't sharp at all. Oh and they squeel like a pig!
  • Twelly
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Change pads (probably contaminated), clean rotors with alchohol, bleed.
  • ok, cheers guys. So what pads to people recommend then?
  • Twelly
    Superstar organic or kevlar.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Hey guys,

Whilst on this subject, I'm just getting back in to biking after a 11 year break. Bought a Zaskar off ebay which has BR-M525's with red aligator saw discs. The brakes are Shockingly bad! Maybe I just had high expectations of them being better than the XTR v's I had 11 years ago. They do need set up again as the pads are rubbing on one side and they feel like they need bled too.

The question though... I've never had disc brakes, how do you tell when the pads are past their best? Also what are the best pads you can recommend for these brakes?

Thanks

I have these brakes and they are still going strong after 6 years. The brakes wont work as well when the pads are worn. Have a look at them, should be fairly obvious if/when the pads need replacing. I've been using Superstar Organic pads for last season but just ordered their Kevlars for the rest of this season.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8