Shimano vs SRAM on a New Bike

FatBurt
FatBurt Posts: 70
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm currently weighing up 2 bikes.

The Cube LTD which has a mix of Deore and XT kit on it with Formula RX brakes and is £850

The Norco Nitro 6.2 Which is SRAM X7 with Elixir 3 matchmaker brakes discounted to £900

I've now ridden both bikes and like them both, the £50 notes difference doesn't make much of a difference to me but I'm leaning towards the Norco based on looks.

I have since come across the

Norco Nitro 6.3 which is all SRAM X5 with Elixir 1 brakes discounted to £750

Same frame as the 6.2 and only marginally heavier but a huge saving of £150.

My question is how big an improvement will the X7 have over the X5 and is it really worth the extra £150 for someone who is just getting back into trail riding again after a few year out of the loop?

Is SRAM really any different to Shimano gear?

Is there a big difference between the brakes as well?

Would I be better of getting the 6.3 and getting fit on it and upgrading parts as they break/wear out?

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    If you have tried both bikes go with the one that feels right rather than making your decision on specification.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As above, but in my and the Shimano and Formula kit is quite a bit better.
  • FatBurt
    They both ride really well and I would be happy with either, spec really is the only thing that seperates them for me.

Is the extra £150 worth the outlay for X7 and elixir 3's? or would the X5 be more than adequate for my currently reduced needs is my basic concern
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's a different question. They are all adequate for most needs
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Formula brakes swing it for me.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I much prefer my Shimano SLX set up to my SRAM X0 set up even though the Shimano set up is considerably cheaper but I wouldn't choose a bike based on SRAM vs Shimano. Transmission parts wear out so live with them for a while if you don't like them and replace them as they wear. Frame & suspension is far more important.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    The Shimano spec would swing it for me. In my experience Deore kit has always not only been extremely reliable but pretty much bombproof too*

*I never actually tested this theory
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i have always been a diehard sram fan for years..

however in march i changed my drivetrain on my hardtail as i got a shimano xtr mech and shifters for christmass and was very impressed,
    about a month ago i built up a new bike to take to whistler with me for bikepark duties. i specced it up with shimano saint mech and xt shfter,
    i also took my santacruz which i built up last year which runs sram x9..

i was riding both the ns soda and the santacruz daily so one bike with shimano and one with sram.. and i have to say i much prefare shimano .. and i have to agree with the fromula brakes both my bikes have formula brakes..

personally i would go for the shimano/ formula set up.. i aint a fan of avid brakes...
  • felix.london
    ...I should have added that given the chance I'd swap the Elixir's on the Trek Session for Formula's tomorrow. I've never even tried Formula brakes but if I'd give them a go - not feeling the Avid's that's for sure.

Trek Session 8
  • cloudynights
    cloudynights Posts: 351
    doesnt really matter it will all be changed as it wears out, the frame is the important thing to go for
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • FatBurt
    Fair point.

Which is likely to be the better frame then?
  • felix.london
    doesnt really matter it will all be changed as it wears out, the frame is the important thing to go for

Not sure about that. My brakes are nearly 7 years old and still going strong. The Deore shifters and mechs are the same age and all still in perfect working order

Chains, cassettes, jockey wheels, brake pads, cables will wear out but there's no reason the main components shouldn't last a long, long time so it's worth getting it right at the beginning...if you ask me

Trek Session 8