What would you buy out of these?

Fingz999
Fingz999 Posts: 69
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Can't decide which to buy right now I have a trip coming up for a weekend away doing Xc I have a 2011 cube acid and don't really like the brakes as they are either on or off (only noticed this since riding a bike with the new deores on) I was going to have a new garmin edge 200 before I went as I use strava on my iPhone but it kills the battery do I now use the money instead to change my brakes?

As it stands I don't use strava loads I just think it would be a nice toy to have I'm talking my self into the brakes slightly but it's a case of I have brakes that work so should I have a new toy or do I go for new brakes as a upgrade and focus on my riding

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What are your current brakes?
  • Fingz999
    Hayes Stroker Ryde hydr
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Garmins are fantastic upgrades, use mine on every single ride now and upload to both Endomondo and Strava to keep a bit of a log. Totally waterproof, very robust and easy to tweak to see exactly what you want. I bought another set of the mounting brackets so I can click it on whichever bike I fancy going out on.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Brakes & an OS map.

I still prefer the reliability of a good old fashioned OS map to an electronic device.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think the 200 is more of a bike computer than a mapping device, so the OS comparison might not be very valid, seeing as a paper map can't tell you your average speed.

A garmin is definitely a nicer (more robust, more reliable) solution than a smart phone, but will you ever want it for mapping purposes? Would saving the extra for an 800 be worth it?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Yeah, they're not for mapping, just getting some data out afterwards and logging where you've been. Click it on your bike, turn it on and go for a ride, always interesting having a record of all the riding I've done over the year, how things have improved or dropped.

Not sure about the 200, the 500 can be set up to race against yourself, it shows onscreen how your current position compares to last lap. Good for driving yourself a bit more, or experimenting, if you go slow up a hill, do you have more energy left to do the rest faster for example.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    200 isn't worth it IMO. Brakes or the 500.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    The 2013 SLX brakes (M675) are out next week. I'm waiting for them.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Cheap GPS logger (£35), Strava/Wheresthepath (free) - and some decent brakes.
    I have a cheap GPS logger, and at some point I'm likely to be tempted by some SLX or XT brakes.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    btw - I voted for brakes on your poll but only cos I need a set of brakes NOW! to finish my build and I really don't need a GPS unit but I do want one and I think it will be the Garmin eTrex 20 - but I want it as a mapping device not a stats device (got the phones for that)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Fingz999
    Thanks for the responses i didn't realise the m675 came out now so they will be the ones instead of m666 I have thanks for that

Also thanks for the gps logger didnt know they existed till now (ha and I work in technology) looked them up and Ilthey will do exactly what I need along with a cheap computer feel alot better spending less on that as the 200 is alot.

Thanks again