Where can I find plastic DH tyre levers?

notax
notax Posts: 138
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Visiting the UK Bike Park recently I was struggling to swap tyres and someone kindly helped out with long, plastic DH tyre levers. I'm looking for some but can only find the screw driver type which will probably knacker my rims. Any ideas?

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Get pedros levers, I've snapped a couple, but that's usually because the tyre is still seated on the bead somewhere. They're very good and only cost a few quid. I'd imagine most bike shops will have them.

Though I never find DH tyres any more difficult to remove than XC tyres. Depends more on the rim, I find getting tyres off my DT rims can be a right pain in the arse some times.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Year its the rims over the tyres that cause the problem I think - my old wire bead high rollers absolutely would not go quietly over my mavic exsomekinda number rims and I have never had the same problem with any other rim - my new big hits alex/specialized rims are little stubborn - seems like the depth of the rim causes the issues to me - my crossrides slip new tyres on like a foot into an oversized welly but they seat perfectly.

I'd get something like these - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55931
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Yeah - I got the Superstar version of those X-Tools ones;

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=570

tyre-levers-steel-core.jpg
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • notax
    notax Posts: 138
    Thanks, they do look strong but the ones that were used on my bike were quite a bit longer so gave better leverage. The wheels I'm having trouble with are Crossmax SX, although I've just bought a bike fitted with DT FR2350 rims and imagine these could be a sod too! It is this bike I'm using on the Mega and I want a decent lever just in case I puncture (although I never have done in the Alps before...)