Classic Wheels Question

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,315
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Yes, another wheels thread. Hooray!

These will be for my Kaffenback. It currently has some fairly chunky wheels, Mavic A319 rims on Deore hubs. No idea what these weigh, the internet won't tell me and I'm not taking everything off to check! The minimum tyre width is 28mm.

They're good wheels and I'll keep them for touring etc. They've done a lot of miles and stayed true.

So I'm looking for some wheels to take 23mm tyres, to lighten the bike up a bit for faster expeditions on it. And I'm hoping to do it fairly cheaply. Here are the contenders so far

Shimano R501 - 1900g - £67
Shimano RS10 - 1892g - £84
Planet X Model C - 1743g - £99
Plane X A57 - 1880g - £99
Mavic Open Sport Rims On 105 Hubs - 1965g - £120

£120 is the max price I think. The model C's look like the winner, but they are black, and silver would look a lot better with the bike. All the others except the R501's come in silver.

Any other ideas? Any of those a TERRIBLE idea?
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Your existing wheels are going to be about 2.2kg. I'd go for the planet X at that price, good weight for £99 and I have heard decent things about quality too.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    No idea about the rest but I've been happy with my mavic askiums, noticing a big difference between them and the Pro Lite Comos I used previously. (the Comos were 2kg+ also)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Used the A57s in the Pyrenees a couple of weeks ago when I had to borrow a set from mrc1.

Impressed with them, so am going to buy a pair myself. Thought about two sets: one for the commute, one for cyclo-cross.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    Lets all get a couple of sets! Do a group buy and get some discounts :)

Why would you get them over the Model C's? I guess the extra strength makes up for the extra 140g?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • cjcp
    Hmm, not sure if I actually borrowed the AL30s, but I think ITBoffin mentioned the A50s when we were out there.

I need some new CX wheels, so though they might be a good bet. No scientific research, just went on the mention and cost.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    the AL30s are (1622g) very good but at 24/20H i'd go for the A57 (1880g) for commuting and or CX

or even the AL30 C at 1743g
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    Cheers, Boff.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    itboffin wrote:
    the AL30s are (1622g) very good but at 24/20H i'd go for the A57 (1880g) for commuting and or CX

or even the AL30 C at 1743g
    Sorry to butt in with a maybe dumb question, but for CX, would you not want 21mm or 23mm rims, so you can run low pressures ?