Kenisis GF Ti

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
I'm contemplating puchasing this frame/fork and kitting it up for winter.

Anyone on here got one,and if so, have you any reports?

Cheers.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    I bought one from the classified ads here a short while ago. It was in decent spec and the price dropped to the point where I could either split it and make a return or ride it for a while and not lose money.
    Here are the ride reports from the original owner http://biketart.cc/tag/kinesis/

I much agree with the guy. The ride is on the sporty side, despite longish stays, 425mm i think, it is square 73.5 deg geometry, so its a pretty sharp handler. A lot of fun and in the right hands (not mine), could be put to competitive use. Great fun on fast decents.

The rack mounts are handy and it will comfortably accomodate a rack with plenty of clearance for not clashing your heals. However I have found that the steering is sharp to begin with and only becomes twitchy with a load. I would not recommend this bike if you intend winter commuting with luggage as it would be a nightmare. I would not want a flighty front end on greasy roads and it requires enormous concentration. Enigmas Etape would be far more suitable and almost as good at quick stuff too.
    Despite what Kinesis claim, I have managed to get 25mm on with light mudguards, with good results. Until the annual loose chipping road maintanence began, then the lack of clearance became an issue.

The ride is similar to the few other Ti bikes I have ridden, maybe slightly stiffer. It doesnt have the spring of steel but remains comfortable. I have done half a dozen or so centurys on this bike with no complaints and it is the bike I am taking to the Alps with me in August. Although I admit that a steel bike gets the nod for a ride to stuttgart in a few weeks doing around 160km a day for a week.

The finish is a bit odd, it seems to scratch quite easily but then the bright scratch dulls with time until you can no longer see it. Quite good really although the cables have rubbed small areas shiney around the headstock. Overall though I am pretty impressed with the finish, certainly no better or no worse than its competition and the small painted areas seem well finished and add a touch that sets it apart from the others.

I am really pleased I have owned this bike,its impressive, although I will be selling it after the alps trip. I admire its ruthless efficiency, it looks and performs great but for me it is just not a "keeper".
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    The Genesis Equilibrium Ti is on its way. Genesis have been putting teasers out on their Facebook page about it today. I suspect it will be a similar price to the Kinesis and will be aimed at a similar market. Show me an unsatisfied steel Equilibrium owner and I'll show you a miserable git.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Thanks for the feedback fellas, reckon I'll have a look at the Genesis site.

Thanks again. :)
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Smirf
    Smirf Posts: 123
    I've got one. Nice ride, smooth but as mentioned, still on the sporty side

however, i've just bought a carbon frame so in the dilemma whether to build up for the winter (nice having proper full length guards) or sell the frame and forks (as i kinda promised to Mrs smirf :wink: )

it is a lovely looking frame though
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"
    Trek Triton Singlespeed - "commuter"