Rain Jackets for Altitude

Yacoby
Yacoby Posts: 211
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
So I am doing some XCish riding in the Alps and it was recommended that I get a rain jacket. Normally in the UK I solve rain by not riding in it or MTFU and riding hard in shorts and t-shirt.

However in the Alps I understand rain is cold, so shorts and t-shirt are a short route to hypothermia. Hence I was looking for something that:

* Cheap (Ideally less than £50, but I am flexible if needed)
* Packs down small as the rucksack I have isn't huge
* Rainproof enough for the Alps
* Isn't too "Boil in the bag"

I would just buy something water resistant and be done with it but I don't know anything about the rain patterns in the Alps of if that is good enough.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Aldi and Lidl have got some bike stuff coming up in the next couple of weeks. Look out for a small pack down waterproof? If you're not going to use it once you get home it could be a cheap solution. I bought one a few months ago and it's suprisingly good considering it cost less than a tenner.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    It's not the cold that gets you when riding in the rain in the Alps, it's just the sheer quantity of rain. If you get a thorough soaking are you really going to enjoy the rest of the day?

You won't get anything for around £50 that isn't a boil in the bag top.
    For XC riding, I'd maybe suggest that you get a cheap boil in the bag raincoat, and if it looks like a quick shower (you can usually tell out there - you can see the weather coming), then take a break and sit it out.
    If it looks like it's going to end the world, well, just start riding home.
  • Yacoby
    bails87 wrote:
    Aldi and Lidl have got some bike stuff coming up in the next couple of weeks. Look out for a small pack down waterproof? If you're not going to use it once you get home it could be a cheap solution. I bought one a few months ago and it's suprisingly good considering it cost less than a tenner.
    Ooh. I am not sure if I would be using it afterwards but for < £10...
    It's not the cold that gets you when riding in the rain in the Alps, it's just the sheer quantity of rain. If you get a thorough soaking are you really going to enjoy the rest of the day?
    Damn, that is annoying.

You won't get anything for around £50 that isn't a boil in the bag top.
    For XC riding, I'd maybe suggest that you get a cheap boil in the bag raincoat, and if it looks like a quick shower (you can usually tell out there - you can see the weather coming), then take a break and sit it out.
    If it looks like it's going to end the world, well, just start riding home.
    Sounds a plan.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    When you're exposed on the high peaks, then you may need a more substantial coat. But summer in the alps is actually pretty hot, at riding altitudes anyway.
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Where, when and how high are you going to ride? It may be windy up there and if you get wet either from rain or your own sweat then the fun is over.
  • Yacoby
    Uli wrote:
    Where, when and how high are you going to ride? It may be windy up there and if you get wet either from rain or your own sweat then the fun is over.
    Very start of September with Bike Village so around Les Arcs, La Plagne, Sainte Foy etc. From their site they talk of as high as 2400m.
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    September is still OK, but above 2k it may even snow. Good jacket, hat and warm gloves- better safe than sorry :)
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Not sure about all that

You obviously could be unlucky and get some rain (or if you're really unlucky even a rainy week) but generally the summers are very hot and very dry over here. Keeping cool, hydrated and not getting burnt will be the name of the game I should think. If you're cycling up to 2,400m you're gonna be soaked anyway and more concerned with the amount of oxygen you can get into your lungs. If your getting lifts up to 2,400m - happy days :D

You wont need "a hat and warm gloves" unless your camping out and you definitely wont get any snow at that sort of altitude at that time of year
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yacoby wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Ooh. I am not sure if I would be using it afterwards but for < £10...
    Check their websites for the dates and products. You'll probably have to get there on the first day the stuff is on sale as it usually goes pretty quick. It won't be great, but like you've said, for a one off, if it's cheap and does the job then why not.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Saw a waterproof/breathable jacket at Decathlon the other day. It was for £49.99, I can't say that it is a good one or not as I haven't tried it in the rain myself but it looks/feels pretty good. I am planning buying it myself once I get the funds for it. Decathlon stuff is not the best but it is not the worst and usually it is priced reasonably.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )