Wheel truing - quick turnaround

ketsbaia
ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Anyone got a good go-to place for wheel truing in the Southwark/Waterloo area (or slightly further afield if it's highly recommended)? Needs to be done today.

Yours, buckled of Brockley.

Comments

• ketsbaia
    Wow. Really? No one has any wheel truing recommendations?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    lrgscale44039_BK-SK2.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Buy a spoke key and try it yourself. Don't rush, make small adjustments, and try to keep spoke tensions even (except that drive side spokes on a rear wheel will be much tighter than non-drive). Check side-to-side alignment, roundness and spoke tension as you go.

With a reasonably high spoke count (eg 32) it's not as hard as it looks...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • how buckled? If it's just a bit of run out then have a go yourself. If it's knackered then put on your puppy dog eyes and make out you're cycling to your dear old departed grannie's funeral tomorrow morning.

There's loads of bike repair shops in London.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Really pretty simple, and just use your brakes in lieu of a trueing stand and do it in the frame.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    on yer bike by london bridge. 10 quid I think
  • ketsbaia
    Yeah, unfortunately it's one of those stupid Bontrager Race x Lite wheels with barely any spokes and all of them at stupid tension, so DIY as a total amateur is probably not to be recommended. Even though it's only slightly out, I really don't know what I'm doing and would rather learn on something less difficult/expensive.

Will give On Yer Bike a try. If it's only a tenner, I can deal with that.

Cheers.
  • whitebait01
    whitebait01 Posts: 610
    If you can get South of the river, I'd recommend Balfe's Bikes near Kennington. Lovely and friendly, cheap and they know their stuff!
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I had the exact same situation on Friday after getting knocked off my bike by a dozy ped - handlebars bent out of shae and both wheels buckled. Swift Cycles were able to look at it and sort out the wheels before my commute home, cost me a tenner. Swift Cycles are great by the way, really good service and nice people and I seemm to have been there a million times and only had to pay once or twice!
  • ketsbaia
    Is that the one near Liverpool Street?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    yep just behind dirty dicks etc (among other places). Really nice bunch
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    I buckled a wheel on friday too, attacked by a ninja lamppost.
    Question for the wheel builders out there: How do you maintain an even spoke tension when trueing a buckled wheel? As I understand it, you have to slacken some on one side, and tighten the opposing side to pull the rim across, but these were already very tight as a result of the buckle.
    I ended up damaging a nipple, so will get LBS to do it properly.