Tubeless! Is It REALLY Better Or More Hassle?

2»

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    See its these horror stories that put me off....

Scare the willies out of me.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    i can now lower the psi AND still have good tarmac rolling
    I don't think it works like that.
    The reason a lower PSI (up to a point) reduces rolling resistance off road, is because the tyre can deform over trail bumps, rather than lift the bike up over them.

On tarmac, you'll still want the tyre pretty damned hard, since it's a smooth surface.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    More likely you're noticing as you've moved to a faster rolling tyre (full stop) which weighs a good chunk less.

Either way, win.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    I had Mavic D321 rims (the original Deemax Rims, I believe) - as wide as DH rims get, and they burped even as high as 40PSI.
    Maybe you aren't a very aggresive rider?

Maybe not.

Out of interest, were they ghetto/rim strip or yellow tape style conversion?
    njee20 wrote:
    I don't really get why you're more likely to burp a tyre than you are to roll a tubed tyre. If you've never had that, then I'd not worry.

All you need is enough sideways load to disturb the seal, and then you've lost pressure. Rolling a tubed tyre needs a bit more sideways load.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I used the Stan's conversion kit, which listed those exact rims as compatible.
  • mrmonkfinger
    I used the Stan's conversion kit, which listed those exact rims as compatible.

last (2) questions, promise - what tyres? and were they a tight fit on the rim?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Maxxis Minions & Highroller. Continental Verticals. Something else too, can't remember what.
    Oh, and a Continental Speed King.

And yes, they had a tight fit on the rim, with the rimstrip in place. That particular rim doesn't have a particularly pronounced well in the centre anyway.
    I did need a compressor to seat them though, because I broke the only track pump I had back then, a super cheapo Aldi thing.
  • mrmonkfinger
    thanks yeehaa

well that's all my best ideas about why tubeless burp gone out the window!
  • umchpetrol
    umchpetrol Posts: 32
    Ive got mavic UST rims but have been running tubes for the last 2 years as I lived in an area with rocks that shredded sidewalls every week. Considering going tubeless now with proper UST tyres from reading this thread. Just trying to choose which all mountain/trail tyre to go for.
  • AMcK
    AMcK Posts: 79
    Late to the thread, but I can easily live with the additional 10 min hassle in the garage for the convenience on the trail. I remember doing the SDW last year, and within 5 mins of the start (in the mud), someone had their bike upside down changing a puncture, with 99 miles still to go.

10 mins later, I punctured, hearing the slight hiss/fizz of the sealant and kept on rolling. That's when you love tubeless. Never had a tyre burp either, usually run at 30 psi or thereabouts (on Mavic USTs with Maxxis Ardent UST tyres).
    2011 Black Canyon Nerve XC9.0
  • YeehaaMcgee
    AMcK wrote:
    Mavic USTs with Maxxis Ardent UST tyres
    If I ever do try tubeless again, it will be with genuine tubeless rims, and proper tubeless tyres.
    It seems to be a fairly safe combination, whereas anything else is hit and miss.