rover_mad
rover_mad Posts: 7
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
hi i am new to all this

i have had my bike a while and my mate took me out today
i am experiencing some problems thou i have no brakes in the rear any more they just stopped working
any help of what to do will be much apreciated
i got disks in the rear it only a cheap £200 bike as that all i could aford but i am thinking of upgrading from there and use mine as a base

help much apreciated
chris

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What bike, what brakes, what happened between working and not working.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    As said above... brakes don't just stop working randomly. Something has happened. Crash? Knocked it over? Changed anything? Cleaned it with anything apart from water? Pikey with an allen key half-inched the brake?
  • cammer
    cammer Posts: 55
    Does the lever actually feel like it is braking or is it really soft? First of all check the pads are actually pushing against the rotor at the back when you pull the lever. If they are then it could be down to worn brake pads, or you have got some substance such as oil on the pads or rotor.

If the pads aren't pushing against the rotor then you'll need to find out if the brakes are hydraulic or cable. Likely cable at that price point, so follow it through from the levers to disc and make sure it isn't snagged, frayed or whatever.
  • rover_mad
    the weird thing is they started to work again they are cable but because it was full of mud the front suspention just aint suspention any more lol
    i am using this bike to start out as i build another one
    it is a boss stealth bike other than the brakes it is a good bike i ride 10 miles to work and 10 miles home 5 times a week so alot of us i believe the brakes are prob warn now in the back the pads i am guessing how much are the pads roughley as a rough guied please thnx chris
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the pads. If Superstar have them about £5 a pair.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rover_mad
    Cool i will have to get my self another set then thnx guys
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The last Boss stealth I looked at had promax cable discs, although I have seem them with something with a name on I didn't recognise at all (beginning with an F).

The stealth is a generic FS, probably over a dozen brands sell the same thing with different names/colours.
    http://www.moredirt.co.uk/ratebike.php?id=2963
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rover_mad
    yea thats the bike when the brakes fail i hear a click and then there is nothing as if the cable isnt conected any more but i look back and the lever on the brake is moving could it be the caliper that is faulty