Boardman Pro Carbon 2009 gear cable - what is it?

robdaykin
robdaykin Posts: 102
edited June 2012 in Workshop
I've just been in my LBS getting new wheels which necessitated a change to the gear indexing (yep, surprised me too)

The rear shifting was a little iffy, and on examination the teflon coating has worn at the top of the down tube, and the chaff is probably fouling the cable movement in the outer slightly. Seems credible. Anyway they are shifting ok at present, but will need replacing. LBS was low on cable inner stock, and not too familiar with SRAM Force, so I'll DIY, if I can source the right inner.

The question... what inners to get? I only want to replace the rear cable at present, the front is fine, no visible wear, and shifting is crisp still. The inner cable is steel with a black or charcoal grey (teflon?) coating, and I was under the impression it was unlabelled Gore Ride-on sold as SRAM Pitstop supplied with Force of that era.

Does anyone know what inner it was, and if it is still available, or can you suggest a suitable replacement which is going to look similar, as silver/metallic cables are going to look seriously naff compared to the current stealthy black look which 'vanish' under the down tube.

Checking Gore's site the current Ride-on inners look a standard silver metallic colour, as do the Sram Pitstop cables.

I've used Powercordz before on my Audax, and I'm not having them again before anyone suggests those.

Incidentally has anyone any experience with replacing cables on the Pro Carbon, given the partial internal routing? Any particular issues?

thanks

Rob

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Does not matter any road gear cable is suitable.

The black coating does come off but if the gears are still shifting fine don't worry about it.

It is a right pain changing the inner only on SRAM STIs. Plan for a new set of inners and outers and tape.

Yes the SRAM cables are Gore ride ons.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    I have sram rival and used the transfil cable off wiggle. They have a sram version which is slightly thinner.
    The ends are also solid, which is great as threading the cable through the shifter can be tricky (it makes a quick 90 degree turn). Would recommend, good value.