Lapierre RAID 200 2012 (discuss) :(

tooorangey4crows
tooorangey4crows Posts: 48
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Okay, desperately require a bit of advice here... as per usual in a blind rage and panic I've jumped the gun a bit, not wishing to go into the ins and out of the cycle to work scheme here's the deal... the No.1 choice in the Genesis CORE 26.2 2012 was sold out in my size 20.5 so after a quick read around I went for the Lapierre RAID 200 2012. To put non fine a point on it have I bought the equivalent of an 8-track in a CD world? VHS as opposed to DVD, essentially... do I really need to be cancelling the order or sending this back?

see here... http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lap ... e-ec031519

Previously had a Specialized Hardrock DISC 2011 with it's woeful shocks, the lappy is a significant jump up the ladder, no?

Any (constructive, unlike my buying habbits) comments much appreciated... :oops:
current steeds
mountain - Scott 'Scale 80' [2012]
hybrid - Raliegh 'Urban 3' [2008]

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is barely any better than your hardrock, and heavy too - your money would have been better spent upgrading the HR.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Lappierre's are overpriced anyway so a budget Lappierre can't be a good thing.
    Poor spec for the money & nowhere near as good as the Genesis
  • HR? the Specialized was a 23" too, and at just shy of 6'4" that was no fun at all, FAR too big... it was even dubbed 'the garden gate' amongst the guys...

What you you recommend for a chap with a budget under £700 and 6'3/4??? from http://www.wheelies.co.uk/c2/Mountain-bikes.aspx
    current steeds
  • Lappierre's are overpriced anyway so a budget Lappierre can't be a good thing.
    Poor spec for the money & nowhere near as good as the Genesis

Yes but they got a rep to protect right? even their cheapest model must be half decent? and yea, read into SOmany bikes, that's why I settled on the Genesis but the sizes left are just TOO small :( a friend has gone for a FELT but after a wee bit of research I got the feeling they, well... suck.
    current steeds
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    HR? the Specialized was a 23" too, and at just shy of 6'4" that was no fun at all, FAR too big... it was even dubbed 'the garden gate' amongst the guys...

What you you recommend for a chap with a budget under £700 and 6'3/4??? from http://www.wheelies.co.uk/c2/Mountain-bikes.aspx

Does it have to be Wheelies? Not much on offer there really.
  • Well, it's actually CycleSolutions (same company) and yea, they suck too... was gutted when noticed Genesis was sold out, called and guy fobbed me off with "waiting on next seasons now"... despite every other shop having them in 20.5
    current steeds
  • tooorangey4crows
    tooorangey4crows Posts: 48
    edited June 2012
    Looks like I may have to save my pennies and go for that Canyon Yellowstone 4.0 2012 afterall
    current steeds
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Just seen your signature and you have a Boardman Pro frame ready to be built. Why not spend your £700 on that and with some careful buying you will have a bike much better than any mentioned on this page so far.
  • TwellySmat wrote:
    Just seen your signature and you have a Boardman Pro frame ready to be built. Why not spend your £700 on that and with some careful buying you will have a bike much better than any mentioned on this page so far.

EDIT: edits sig :(

Have now cancelled the Lapierre anyways :(
    current steeds
  • sack it... went for the Genesis CORE 26.1 in 19", mates Boardman 19" was fine for me but if too small, eBay she goes :) savings and payment plan an opportunity to good to miss ;)one happy bunny
    current steeds
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    Nothing too wrong with having a slightly smaller bike, will make it chuckable and fun n the descents. 19" might not even be too bad a size i ride a 19" frame at 6' dead and that's too big for me...