advice on flat bar setup needed

peanut
peanut Posts: 1,373
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
currently changing road bike bars for a flat bar setup.
I have Sram 9 spd twist gears and Shimano BL-R550 brake levers on a 600 semi rise bar .

Can anyone show me a picture of a similar setup please as there doesn't appear to be room for bar grips yet the twist gear grips look too short on their own for a comfortable grip?

Which side of the bar looks correct the right or the left ? what suggestions can you help with please. As you can tell I'm a roadie without a clue about MTB but please don't hold that against me lol

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you need the correct short grips or cut down some cheap grips. there are two lengths of twist grip grips available).

and neither. brakes should have the bolt on the bottom and the x
    shifter neck goes under the brake.

other than that they need a real rotation but you will see when fitted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I would mount the bars to the bike before adding levers/shifters grips etc. Makes it easier to work on and then you get everything in the right position first time.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    nicklouse wrote:
    you need the correct short grips or cut down some cheap grips. there are two lengths of twist grip grips available).

and neither. brakes should have the bolt on the bottom and the x
    shifter neck goes under the brake.

other than that they need a real rotation but you will see when fitted.

thanks Nick thats just what I needed.

I wasn't sure if grips were even used with these twisters as they are very wide compared to others.I wondered if I had bought bars not wide enough .

I hadn't noticed that the levers were upside down doh! I've had the damn things on and off so many times this morning in between cooking breakfast, feeding cats and birds and getting my Father up washed and dressed ....groan ... i need a holiday , this caring lark is bluddy hard work lol
    I'll order up some grips and make final adjustments when fitted to the bike.
    many thanks to you both
    Nick
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use gripshifts on my commuter and just used a standard slip on grip cut to length. (in fact I used lightweight foam - Avenir AGG406 can be had cheap on ebay yet are identical to teh more expensive KCNC and pork rinds).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.