Can Someone help me with my Novatec hubs please?

carbon337
carbon337 Posts: 414
edited June 2012 in Workshop
I picked up some wheels on here wheelsmith gigantex 50mm clincher with novetc lite hubs.

Long story cut short the rear bearings were shot so i got some new bearings today and LBS put them in for me. All good I thought I will now just push the freewheel back in and tighten the end caps on.

Put it all together and the freehub is too tight - its hardly spinning when i ease the end cap pressure off its fine but when i tighten them up tight it is virtually unturnable.

I cant remember a spacer coming out from behind the freehub. Should the freehub press against inner bearing inside the diagram shows part 13 im hoping this didnt stay on the axle and ive lost it.

big_file2.jpg

Spoke to shop afterwards and he suggest a spacer!

Comments

• carbon337
    Anyone??

I can see the needle bearing part 12 this is pressed into the freehub body from what i can see. I cant say i've seen part no 13. If it exsists. Im hoping it wasnt left behind and dropped off the axle somewhere.

I took a pic of the inside of the hubshell bearing when i took the freehub body off and its not on the axle in that picture.

If ive lost this spacer where will I get one?
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I can't help you, but suggest going back to Derek @ wheelsmith & ask him. He might have contacts with the distributor who may have access to spares. I guess worst case scenario is that you need to buy a new freehub (~£30) or a new hub and scavenge the part & keep the rest for spares - it will be cheaper than having the wheel rebuilt onto a new hub.
  • carbon337
    LBS suggests new freehub is the solution.

Bearings in there are gone too. These wheels were only new in November. Slightly worrying but should be ok now they will have whole new frehub and hub bearings.

£20 from Derek.