Helmet Advice

Lewis A
Lewis A Posts: 767
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I have been looking at buying myself a new helmet, I find my current Giro Skyline un-comfy,the pads dont absorb sweat and it has taken a few knocks as well. I am thinking of a trail/all mountain helmet, with the extended rear coverage...

I found a 661 Recon for £55 on Winstanleys and a Giro Feature special edition for the same price. (links below)
The reviews on BikeRadar didn't give much input really :roll: and although I know the Recon just won a WMB test.

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks,

Lewis

Recon
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... elmet_2012

Feature
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... 012_Helmet
Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Head into as many helmets as you can.

As you have found not all are comfortable for everyone.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    What size you looking @? Just a heads up, my mate ordered that helmet from winstanleys last Wednesday, they took the money then emailed him it wouldn't be in stock for 3 months. Not slating winstanleys, he got his bike from there and has had good service in the past but if your after a large/xl you may be out of luck! He went on to order it from http://welovemountains.com/six-six-one- ... lth-helmet delivered in 2 days. Only showing white in stock now though in large/xl.

My mate also had the advantage of trying mine on though, I have last years which is identical save the colour.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Recons are popular because its quite difficult to find a bike shop that doesn't have them in stock. I like them myself the shell is almost identical to the Fox Flux but the Fox is a little more luxurious inside. The fit is very accomodating the retention system compensates for a wide range of head shapes.

The Feature is a bit different because they don't seem too popular with the lbs you will have to look around. The fit is the same as any other Giro but the extended coverage gives it more stability and there's no need to rely on the retention system so much to keep it in place. There's a flow of air front-to-back - it's not draughty like an XC lid but the pads are minimal & inline so there's no sweat gutter at the front. The thumbwheel adjustable visor is most excellent the only drawback is the rather cheap straps which don't have under-ear adjusters. The helmet is light and unobtrusive and the quality of construction is first rate.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Thanks, I don't really have a lbs, the nearest is square wheels in strathpeffer, so actually trying one on is difficult... I would be looking at a Small or a Medium. I haven't seen any Flux's discounted much though, which iis a bit weird considering that have the same rrp... Intresting views though, I'm not really a helmet exper but the Giro seeems a bit more Free-ride oriented which may be a bit overkill.

sorry for any typo's, this is frrom my phone,

Lewis
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Overkill helmet? Interesting risk assessment.
  • .blitz
    Lewis A wrote:
    the Giro seeems a bit more Free-ride oriented which may be a bit overkill.
    It may look that way in the pics but the Feature is light and fits like a normal XC/trail lid while offering more protection around the sides and back.

I'm no expert in crashing but I've had my moments and if your face is heading towards something hard you tend to instinctively turn away. In doing this I've hit the side of my head a few times on trees and the ground and it's always the side of the helmet that takes the impact. I'm not saying this is the only way to crash but imo the side coverage comes in handy

Might also want to consider an Urge Enduromatic they are a similar design but even lighter. No retention system though and sizing is on the small side it either fits or it doesn't

If you can't get to a shop Chain Reaction offer free returns. The process is positively glacial but it does work and may be worth considering if you are out in the sticks and want to try a few helmets for size.
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    First and above all find the one that fits you and is really comfy. The look comes second. They all have to be made to the same standard (only for BMX and downhill there is difference in international standard but still have to comply with the same SPSC). You are paying extra for things like ventilation, less weight and design.
  • bazza333
    bazza333 Posts: 86
    edited June 2012
    I changed to a 661 Recon last year and it is without doubt the best helmet I have ever owned..........however what makes it great is that the fit is perfect for me and you will only find out about that by trying them on.
    At the end of the day ignore the make/model and judge them by the way they fit you.
  • .blitz
    Uli wrote:
    They all have to be made to the same standard.
    While it's true they have to be made to the same Euro standard that standard is weak and not as high as the individual standards each country had in the 1990s. It's only a guarantee that you are not buying a toy.

The same goes for retention systems they allow the shell to accommodate a wide variety of head shapes. Be careful that the helmet fits first and foremost, the retention system is of secondary importance. Any impact will be transmitted to your skull where the helmet touches it and you need to look for a helmet that is in maximum contact with your head so the force is distributed over as wide an area as possible.

The retention system may be comfortable but it won't save you.
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    EU current standard EN 1078 is exactly the same as UK BS EN 1078 and they are dated to 1997. No manufacturer is going to stretch further than this :). The same thing applies for US CPSC. According to wiki you are right that they lower than original standards from 1990.
  • .blitz
    edited June 2012
    It was the same with motorcycle helmets. In the 1990s they all had Snell or BS standard then almost overnight it was changed to a weaker EU standard. The same goes for motorcycle leathers. The individual bits of armour meet or exceed feeble EU standards to make us feel better but the suit as a whole doesn't. And don't get me started on bicycle standards.

Am very sceptical about safety 'standards' in general as you may have guessed :)
  • I've got a fox helmet and its miles better than any Giro helmet I've had.
    I'd recommend trying them as I think they make good helmets.