'Sticky' headset issues

Simmo72
Simmo72 Posts: 262
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Hi, looking for some advice on a problem I’m having with a headset.

Frame/Forks - Planet X Pro Carbon SL
Headset ITM 45 x45 1/18 41.8 bearings as per planet x spec.

Basically the headset is the only part I had professionally fitted and it’s the only part that is causing me grief.

Its impossible to find a suitable balance tightening the expander bung. I know they don’t need to be supertight but even ‘firm’ and you loose the natural flowing movement, ie the bars don’t move freely and riding is very sketchy (non handed is suicidal). Loosen it off even a fraction and you get play in the headset. There is no nice middle ground. Other frames I just tighten up and go and have never had a problem.

I have taken it back to fitters where they were very helpful but have confirmed its fitted correctly, no problem with frame and forks and there is no obvious reason why I’m having the problem. The only thing that helps is to place a bit of grease between the spacers and the top of the headset, it seems to free up a bit but it just does not feel right.

Has anyone else has had any similar problems?
What headsets are other planet x pro carbon SL owners using? I think I need to replace mine and start again!

Many thanks

Comments

• jonnym5
    jonnym5 Posts: 76
    What is the clearance like between the headset cover cap/seal and the top of the headtube?

Sometimes the gap can be big at one end but touching another. That's when I'd be using the small shims that come with a new headset to give it more clearance. They sit between the slit washer/angle thing and the headset cover.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Integreated headset. Does not need any fitting. The only bit that might need some work was the cutting of th steerer tube.

As mentioned above the seals may be making contact and need shimming to give clearance. Remove the top cover and reassemble and see how it feels. If smooth and none sticky then you know it needs some shims.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Simmo72
    jonnym5 wrote:
    What is the clearance like between the headset cover cap/seal and the top of the headtube?

Sometimes the gap can be big at one end but touching another. That's when I'd be using the small shims that come with a new headset to give it more clearance. They sit between the slit washer/angle thing and the headset cover.

The gap is very tight but it seems even all the way around. Thats interesting as I didn't get any shims with the headset. I wonder if they can be purchased separately?

Thanks for the info. If all else fails I'll get a new headset but at least this sounds like the problem.

Cheers
  • nicklouse
    ask the LBS they are more than likly to have something. and as they "fitted" it i would be asking them to sort it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Simmo72
    nicklouse wrote:
    Integreated headset. Does not need any fitting. The only bit that might need some work was the cutting of th steerer tube.

As mentioned above the seals may be making contact and need shimming to give clearance. Remove the top cover and reassemble and see how it feels. If smooth and none sticky then you know it needs some shims.

You still need to press the cups in. You can do it yourself but i was a bit nervous of doing so with carbon, but thats it apart from like you said cutting the fork length.
    Yep, its smooth without the top cover. Managed to find a 'hope' shim on chain reaction for £2, nothing else appears to be out there. Hopefully it will fit and I can enjoy riding what is turning out to be a cracking frame.
    cheers
  • nicklouse
    Simmo72 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

You still need to press the cups in. You can do it yourself but i was a bit nervous of doing so with carbon, but thats it apart from like you said cutting the fork length.
    Yep, its smooth without the top cover. Managed to find a 'hope' shim on chain reaction for £2, nothing else appears to be out there. Hopefully it will fit and I can enjoy riding what is turning out to be a cracking frame.
    cheers
    states it in integrated so there are no cups.

Headset: On-One Integrated Headset with Waterseal,

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/YBP ... ge___white

and a 45-45-41.8mm is the Campy standard for this. it is all slip fit. no press fitting of anything.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... -standards

did you get the correct headset? did the shop fit it without any questions?

is the PX site info incorrect?
  • Simmo72
    I have to assume the px site is correct otherwise there will be hundreds of people with incorrect headsets veering into hedges.

The headset I purchased is 45-45-41.8mm campag fit so its the right one. The shop checked the headset was correct before I left them with the frame. Looking on the ITM website it doesn't look like it comes with any shims so think it boils down to the headset being a pile of pants. The only reason I didn't buy it from px in the first place was because they were out of stock at the time.

At worst its the cost of a new headset - think I'll steer (scuse the pun) clear of ITM and stick to Deda or FSA. Another lesson learned in the cycling world.
  • nicklouse
    nothing wrong with ITM.

again talk to the LBS they shold have shims you can have.

when doing builds we never used them all so had spares for people or service time.
  • Simmo72
    I purchased a shim of chainreaction and once fitted the headset is smooth as and no play in the headset. Looks like either itm don't provide a shim to start with or mine simply didn't include it. Finally I can enjoy this bike. Many thanks for the advice.