Sram derailleur with Shimano flightdeck?

RowCycle
RowCycle Posts: 367
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Hello,

I know you can mix some Shimano and Sram stuff, but could you mix a Sram Red rear derailleur with a Shimano Ultegra flightdeck?

Thanks

Comments

• racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Flightdeck was the Shimano bike computer a few years back and only worked with Shimano 'flightdeck' compatible shifters.

I suspect that means you have Ultegra 6600 brifters and want to attach them to a SRAM rear derailleur which I believe doesn't work. The SRAM and Shimano cassettes are interchangable but I seem to remember that rear derailleurs don't mix and match as the cable pull ratios are different (front I seem to remember does work).
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    He's right.

You can swap SRAM and Shimano cassettes quite happily as the spacing is the same (10sp SRAM vs 10sp Shimano, 9sp vs 9sp, 8sp vs 8s)

But you can't mix shifters and rear mechs - you'll need a Shimano mech with Shimano shifters and a SRAM mech with SRAM shifters.

Each click of the shifters pulls/releases a fixed amount of cable.
    That amount of cable tells the matching derailleur to move sideways a certain distance, the distance between cogs on the cassette.
    But a Shimano shifter pulls/releases a different amount of cable to a SRAM one, so the unmatching derailleur will move sideways the wrong distance