Fractured metacarpal - recovery time

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
Had my hand put in a cast a week ago after I fractured it downhilling. Not a bad break luckily. Will be seeing the doctor on Friday to see how long before the cast comes off.

If anyone else has had this injury before (its the bone that connects wrist to knuckle), how long was it before you could ride again?
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Did mine sept last year. Was riding one handed for a couple of weeks and started pull the brake about 4 weeks after. Still aches from time to time now.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I did the same a while back. they didn't put mine in a cast, just gave me a wrist strap. I don't think I had a clean break though and I didn't have repeated visits to the fracture clinic. they said give us a call if any problems arise.

I was off skiing with it after 4 weeks and hurt if I put a lot of pressure on it but I imagine it would be fine for a casual cycle.

I think after 6/8 weeks the pain had gone and mobility was back to normal. I guess add a couple more weeks if you have a clean break.

it was prob 12 weeks in total since I got the full mental confidence to start really pushing on the wrist and do small drops and more technical riding. But this was mainly in my head and I imagine differs from person to person.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Thanks lads - I was a clean break but they put it in a 'half cast' (only covering the upper hand and forearrm, held in place with bandages etc wrapped around the rest). I can move the fingers OK and even pick some light stuff up after only a week so hopefully shouldn't be too long !
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]