£2000 build equivalent to Norco Sight 2

nicwat
nicwat Posts: 18
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

To cut a long story short, I have a halfords cycle to work voucher which I was told by Evans that they could accept and was planning to put in some extra cash (frowned upon I know but that's not the point) and get a Norco Sight 2.
As that's no longer an option, the next best thing seems to be to build up an equivalent bike and use the voucher to get halfords to order in any decent frame then use the rest of the money to buy new or nearly new kit elsewhere to make a decent bike.
The trouble is, having been out of riding for a couple of years after some knee reconstructions, I'm not too up to speed with what to go for.
Any advice, sample builds etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Nic

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Under the scheme the bike doesn't belong to you. You should ask the owner.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicwat
    Sorry but ask the owner what?
    I know it doesn't belong to me but I don't think asking my company for guidance on bike parts would prove too fruitful...

I am basically looking for advice on components to buy in order to build a bike with a budget of around £2k which is suited to the same kind of riding as the Norco Sight 2.

Cheers.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so you want to put 1K into a bike you dont own and will have to buy back at a fair value after a year! mad.

but just spec it lower than the Norco and you might get it for about the same value.

http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/trail/sight/

so any 140mm frame and any 150mm fork and the rest is up to you

but as you say new or used anything will do.

you would be better off asking about specifc parts you find or have a look through the rides pages for similar builds to see what is going on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • snowjho
    snowjho Posts: 108
    Are you sure you can use the voucher to buy parts? I thought it had to be a complete bike.
  • nicwat
    It's not actually putting £1k into a bike that I don't own, it's putting £1k into a frame that I don't own to build up a bike that has a value of £2k. I would only have to buy a frame at fair market value at the end of it and my company is is doing the same as it did before the scheme went to pot and is charging £50 to purchase it.

I was more after advice on a decent frame and forks that would do a job similar to the Norco.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    snowjho wrote:
    Are you sure you can use the voucher to buy parts? I thought it had to be a complete bike.

It does.
  • nicwat
    Apologies to all, I went into this not fully informed as I only looked at the vouchers yesterday and had heard talk of people buying £2k+ bikes on the scheme and carrying out custom builds etc.
    I have looked into the Halfords voucher and while you can buy equipment over the £1000 at a discounted rate, the bike has to be £1000.
    As such, is the Boardman Team FS the best to go for given the rave reviews or are there any discounted bikes at other bike shops that would be worth going for instead that I could have them order in.
    Thanks for all the responses.