Advice for upgrading XC forks?

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have some Suntour XCR LO forks on my trusty Carrera Valour but i feel that i need more shock length on them as i have got more confident on the bike. Also it looks better.

I have noticed that i am losing grip in the corners because the fork doesnt stretch out as much as i want it to. :roll:

Is there any options such as converting to a longer spring and damper or is it better suited for me to get a new fork as a whole?

Here is a picture of the bike if it helps to save the searching.

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    MTB noob wrote:
    I have some Suntour XCR LO forks on my trusty Carrera Valour but i feel that i need more shock length on them as i have got more confident on the bike. Also it looks better.

I have noticed that i am losing grip in the corners because the fork doesnt stretch out as much as i want it to. :roll:

Is there any options such as converting to a longer spring and damper or is it better suited for me to get a new fork as a whole?

Here is a picture of the bike if it helps to save the searching.

No idea whether you can extend them, doubt it but this is rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    From what I understand XC frames are built with specific (read: low) fork travel in mind. I ride an XC with a 100mm Tora fork (pretty basic really) and I haven't experienced any noticeable lack of grip when cornering.

Looking at your bike it appears that you have a really long stem (110mm?) which could be adversely affecting the responsiveness of your steering. My suggestion would be to make sure that your riding position is correct and your getting the proper leverage over the front before spending loads on what could be an unnecessary upgrade.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg