Rockshox Revelations v Fox equivalent

bwstokie
bwstokie Posts: 115
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Can get some 2012 Rockshox Revs RL for less than £300 and was wondering what the Fox equivalent were and how much they'd be?

Current bike has 20mm maxle axle the Revs are 15mm - can you convert easily and cheaply?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    New? A lot more than that.
    And not really, depends on your hub whether you can convert it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Fox Floats would be the equivalent. They flex more than the revs and are a lot more expensive.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Fox Floats would be the equivalent. They flex more than the revs and are a lot more expensive.
    Care to elaborate? I can guarantee you that my floats don't flex as much as Revs. Neither does my rear shock, also a float.
  • rockmonkeysc
    140mm Floats are good but the 150's flex badly. The 150mm Float would be the equivalent of a 150mm Rev.
    Not talking about rear shock's here.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    So a 150mm Float 36 would flex far worse than a 140mm float 32?
    Fascinating. Your encyclopaedic knowledge of Fox forks both astounds and educates me.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    I think 150mm versions come with 32mm stanchions, 160+ go with 36.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You can space 36s down to as low as (I think) 120mm. Maybe more. It's quite common for moneyed dirt jumpers or slopestyle competitors.
    150mm is definitely a common change anyway.

But I digress, my point is that "Float" just means air spring.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    .. right, you can space them down. You can also space down other RS equivalents. So it's just better to stick to factory fork setup for comparison purposes.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • rockmonkeysc
    Standard 150mm Float is 32mm. A spaced down 36mm Float is not the equivilent to a Rev, that would be the equivilent to a spaced down Lyrik.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Only a Float 32 RLC Fit would beat the Rev RL for damping performance IMHO. (comparing similar models)