V Brake or Disk Brake

indiekid007
indiekid007 Posts: 26
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am looking at purchasing a new mountain bike as I am selling my hybrid.
I spend a lot of time with my little boy on the back in a seat so I am unable to go for disk brakes or so i have been told.
Are V brakes really that bad for a beginner and what do I need to look out for on wheels that will allow me to change to disks when he is older.

Comments

• Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    V brakes have been around for a while and I am not sure why are they "that bad"? The positive thing for beginner is that setting them up is much easier compared to some cheap mechanical disk brakes, that can't be really set correctly. They are usually cheaper to maintain. The downside is that braking may not be that effective especially in wet, but again it depends on type of riding and what compound did you put on. You are going to ride with your kid and as they mounted on cheaper bicycles so I doubt you will be doing downhill on your bike so IMO there is nothing wrong with V brakes.
  • I agree with the other bloke. But I am wondering why you would replace your hybrid with a mountain bike, if you are carrying a kid in the back?
    It seems to be compromising the spec of the bike you want to buy. Better off keeping the hybrid so you can put your kid in that, and buy a mountain bike with disk brakes for the times that you can get out on your own.
    (if that is a viable option?)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Why can't you have a bike with disc brakes? I have a hybrid i use for commuting and taking my daughter on the back and have disc brakes on the bike. Works fine with me and i've never had a problem.
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    nothing wrong with rim brakes on a hybrid or a roadie ,my roadie brakes are very powerfull.

off road is a different story ,mud/water and rim brakes simply dont mix .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Many of us er older people rode rim brakes off road for a long time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    cooldad wrote:
    Many of us er older people rode rim brakes off road for a long time.

And some of the really cool ones had hydraulic rim brakes..........I wasn't one of them tho, but I did have some brake boosters to bling my bike up.

I think v brakes still look cool.
  • Maddog1979
    Maddog1979 Posts: 185
    I had the Magura hydraulic rim brakes years ago.. awesome stuff