Noob in need....help?

Benh78
Benh78 Posts: 6
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello people.

So, I have not sat on a bike for many years and am planning on getting back in the saddle. I have done a bit of reading and comparison of bikes and components recently and have some kind of idea of what is out there and how much they cost....what I would like is some kind of input from people with a bit more experience and knowledge.

I have right now a couple of options.

1) http://www.bulls.de/modelle/cross-country/king-boa/king-boa-disc.html

I have had a quick test ride on this and it seems ok, if a little lively/nervous....maybe because I am bigger/stronger than when younger and the bike is lighter??....It did also feel physically small although it was the correct size for my height (a little over 6'2)

2) http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/nine-sport-2012-mountain-bike-ec032658#features

I have heard that 29ers can be better for the taller rider but I have not been able to test ride one in my size, this would be an internet purchase.

As a noob do I go for the Bulls which has seemingly better components or the 29er which could be a better fit for my size and upgrade in the future as and when I am good enough to deserve upgrades? (where I am located these two bikes cost the same...700Eur)

Any kind of advice is much appreciated in my hunt for the right ride.

Ben

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Spec wise, the King Boa is far better than the felt. It has a better fork, better drivetrain and slightly better brakes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If one feels a bit small, maybe it isn't the correct size for you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Benh78
    Thank you both!

In terms of standover and with feet on the pedals it felt ok for my leg length but as I was riding it just appeared to be quite small beneath me. Maybe it being a decent weight and me being able to throw it around a bit makes a difference as I am used to rubbish, heavy bikes?

If you had £700 to spend what kind of things might you be looking at?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Standover is a thing of the past, see the topic in general.

Lifting a bike frame in the air by 100mm or more means everything moves up.

I the bike feels small it most likely is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Benh78
    Hey Nicklouse,

being in Germany do you have any experience of or know anybody that has used a Bulls or Haibike?

I see a lot of them around and they can be ok specs-wise but I have not seen much in the way of reviews from real riders.
  • Benh78
    Just a quick update on the bike search to say that I made a purchase!!

It is an older model of the Haibike Edition RC (although brand new and boxed) and I got a GOOD deal on it. It is fitted with:
    Rock Shox Tora SL 100mm
    Shimano SLX transmission
    Black Jack rims
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron tyres

The weak point could be the brakes - Magura H33 hydraulic rim brakes - but I saved enough on the whole package to upgrade to some decent discs when I feel it necessary.

Weighing in at a touch under 12kg.

I am pleased :mrgreen:
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Are there disc mounts on the frame, fork and wheels? Other than that it sounds like a great spec!
  • Benh78
    Yep, all ready for when I feel the need to upgrade!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Buy some good second hand disc brakes and you can probably sell the 'as new' rim brakes for as much if not more money....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.