Biking novice - new bike needed

2»

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    supersonic wrote:

Remember the terms of C2W have recently changed, existing calculators may well be out.

My calculations/costs I had are based on the new amounts.

If you don't extend the hire period and 'purchase' the bike after 12 months then yes you don't save a lot, just extend the period job done.

I'd also love to hear how you think they'll clamp down on it, send out people to watch them bike to work everyday?
  • Interesting. I don't see how they could crack down on it, but I guess it's best not to risk it.

What's the opinion on this?

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2011

8 speed, dual disc, front suspension forks. I'm guessing that at sub-£300 it's not worth even considering full suspension bikes?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Given I have heard of several people being caught off various shops and sources, it is up to you. Not up to me to say how - but they do, and that is all you need to know.

There is a guide in the Beginners forum to entry level bikes.
  • Thanks for the links. Reading the reviews/advice, the only thing seemingly letting the Saracen down is the weight (not a massive problem as I understand this is an issue on all entry-level bikes) and the forks. How easy would it be to replace them, perhaps with the RockShox Recon forks mentioned earlier?

I'm leaning towards going for the Saracen as it seems to have decent reviews and feedback and has everything I need/has been suggested on it.

I think I'll also forget about C2W. Perhaps if it wasn't 15 miles each way I'd consider actually doing it, but I don't think I'd relish the idea of doing that every day.