Cube Ltd CC 2012 Upgrade Suggestions

tezboy1234
tezboy1234 Posts: 132
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
I ordered a Cube Ltd CC 2011 from Bike Discount in Germany. They were selling it at a reduced price as it was last years model. (760 pound plus 20-30 pound for shipping) A couple of days later they sent me an e-mail saying they had actually sold out and wouldn't be getting any more in. As way of an apology they offered me this years model for the same price. (780-790 pound in total) The bike comes with Easton finishing kit, Alex rims, Magura brakes, RockShox Reba RL forks and everything else ( derailleurs, cranks, chain, hubs, shifters etc) is Shimano Xt. The frame is anodized and double butted. As i have already saved 3-4 hundred pounds on the bike, i thought a few upgrades would be warrented. I want to upgrade the brakes and rims to Shimano XT, the rear derailleur to a Shimano XTR shadow plus and would also consider the finishing kit too. The bike currently weighs 27ib (a bit heavier than last years model). If i change the finishing kit from Easton EA90 to Easton EC90 SL i would save at least 1ib in weight, but people think the expense of this would be way OTT. Any suggestions of possible upgrades or thoughts on the upgrades i've mentioned above would be very helpfull. Cheers!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The XTR rear mech is not worth it IMHO. I have one - doesn't really shift any better than XT - sure is quieter, but £150? I'd keep the XT.

I also have Easton EC90SL. Again not worth it ;-). I'd look at Exotic finishing kit:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2

Bars 157g, seatposts from about 150g, stems from about 110g. Would cost about £120 for all three.

I also don't see XT brakes as an upgrade, just different, and the XTs are heavier!

I would, without a doubt, buy new wheels. The XT 756 hubs are old and very heavy, and the rims and spokes not too light either. Consider these:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=497

Will be a pound lighter easily, probably more like 600g. So for just over £400 you'd get some nice savings and some good carbon kit.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Just to add, according to google, the cube ltd cc has easton EA30 finishing kit-not EA90. Changing the finishing kit would therefore make quite a bit of difference. I would look at carboncycles(as ss said), or kcnc for these.

I would also change the wheels, and look at new tyres too(especially if the stock ones are wire bead).
    If you havent already, you might want to look at pedals also.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have you actually ridden it yet? If not ride it for a while, then decide. Sounds decent overall spec to me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Wobbit
    Wobbit Posts: 91
    If the tyres are the same as came on my ltd, rapid robs, they are pants, heavy ish and far to hard compound, I saved around 450 grams swapping over to nobby nics fr, rocket rons bk.
    Neilpryde Alize - Kinesis 4S - Cube Ltd