New vs 2nd hand, and other questions

Bedeage
Bedeage Posts: 3
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've spent the last few days doing the mandatory internet and LBS research into mountain bikes and have got a little bit stuck. My budget is probably £300 max, which limits me a great deal I know, but such is student life!

This leads to an apparent scarcity of decent bikes. The Rockrider series looks great, and once their website comes back online I'll properly spec one out, but the competition doesn't seem to be able to match them at my level. In an ideal world I'd get a Rockrider 8.1 or a Canyon Yellowstone, but they're fairly over budget.

I've had a look on gumtree, preloved, ebay etc for 2nd hand Rockriders with mixed success; mixed because, although they are to be found, they are incredibly poorly/dishonestly advertised. A 9.1 from 2009-2010 is advertised as 2012, a good looking 8.1 has no frame size etc. It's a shame because they're going for the same prices as brand new 5.1s and have much better specs.

I suppose what I'd like to know is:

1. Am I on the right track with the Rockriders - is there anything comparable in the sub-£500 bracket?
2. Should I risk 2nd hand (and disappointment and further cost) or settle for a new, but lesser bike?
3. Is there anywhere else I should be looking for cheap bikes?

Edit:

4. Just supposing I did do something stupid and up my budget to £500 (weakening already :D) which of the Canyon Yellowstone or the Rockrider 8.1 would be best? Or another option?

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    1. Yes, also look at voodhoo and carrera from halfords.
    2. S/H can be found and good ones, take someone who knows about bikes to check, drivechain, forks, etc.
    3. Sale section on here.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Bedeage
    Bedeage Posts: 3
    Thank you :) I'm going into Halfords today, but it seems to have such a bad reputation here which doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Do you know what Canyon's budget offering from last (or any other) year was called?
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I only buy used now.

£300 isn`t going to buy much in terms of a new bike.What I`d do is an ebay search on bikes within a certain local radius that are colllection only.These tend to attract lower bids.Even better it means that the seller`s feedback is less of an issue because you can normally do cash on collection, thus ensuring less bids and a lower price.

For £300 I wouldn`t get too hung up on a specific bike as you are already limited by your budget. Things like Hardrocks and Rockhoppers will be more plentiful but you can pay a premium for the Specialized badge.Giant XTCs and Talons can often be found for this sort of money.Something like a secondhand Boardman or Carrera might be good.If you get lucky a lot of these will have been bought on a whim and barely used.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Carrera Vengeance is about the best thing you an buy in Halfords with that budget, although these days it comes with mechanical discs.

There's not a huge amount around on offer at ashcycles either - the Giant Revel 1 is £315 delivered, as are afew Haro bikes..

http://www.ashcycles.com/site/bikes/mou ... /haro-2010

These are all typical of what you'll get new at this price point - Suntour fork, low end Shimano chainset, mechanical brakes.

Second hand is all well and good, and there are bikes on eBay that have barely been used (bought with good intention of getting fitter, then not had the time), but there can also be some that have been hammered around trial centres three times a week. If they have nice original tyres on then they've probably been gatehring dust in the garage or shed.

There's nothing wrong with buying from Halfords, they get their bikes in a box in the same state as you would buying via the internet, and you don't have to get them to 'build it/set it up'. In general i'd say get them to build it, but order on a Tuesday to collect Wedn/Thurs so you avoid any temporary weekend inexperienced staff. If nothign else you don't have the hassle of carting and disposing of the big box !
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Bedeage wrote:
    Edit:

4. Just supposing I did do something stupid and up my budget to £500 (weakening already :D) which of the Canyon Yellowstone or the Rockrider 8.1 would be best? Or another option?
    the RR 8.1 has a better overall spec, plus your forgetting the extra £50ish a canyon would cost you for p&p, as for the previous years yellowstone's, i would say your only chance is secondhand
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011