Alpine tyre advice. Sorry

hoolabloom
hoolabloom Posts: 164
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
:oops: Ok i know theres lotsa tyre posts here but here goes.

Off out to the alps in august taking my pitch pro which is set up with 160mm forks etc and need some advice on tyres. Will be riding chamonix,morzine pila,deux alpes. Currently running minion dhf front and high roller rear both single ply. 2.35.

So my query is will they be ok or should i splash some coin on something bit bigger dual ply etc? Been struggling with pinch flats of late 30-35 psi.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I rode Morzine for the week last year with the same tyres as you and they were fine for me - I think I got one pinch flat all week. I'm not a speedy DH rider though, I can do stuff but not exactly at warp-speed :lol:

Stick some DH tubes in to save getting new tyres?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I rode single ply tyres for two weeks in the alps and never got a single puncture, and i wasn't hanging about!

For reference i was using a panaracer CG AM up front and a spesh purgatory control on the back.
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    Ridden my Pitch in the same parts of the alps. I rode with Highrollers at the time but since riding Minions reckon they'd be just as good. Personally I'd do what I did last time and use dual ply 2.5's with dh tubes super tacky and if you can get a maxxpro for the rear for improved tyre life go with one of those. They will allow you to run low pressures for more comfort and speed with much better grip.
  • hoolabloom
    Cheers guys, bennettyou ever get up thrunton? Thats our local spot always looking for new riding buddies
  • bennett_346
    We had a trip up there planned earlier this year but it fell short. Does look like a great riding spot though, i'll be up there once i have a car back!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    If it rains, you'll need WetScreams though.
  • bennett_346
    If it rains, you'll need WetScreams though.
    Pah, bobbins :lol:

We held out ok on drys! Just gotta mtfu :wink:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You must have had drizzle, or were riding like snails then. The entire mountain turned into a mudslide when I was there, and with high rollers/minion I couldn't even make the first turn, or slow down. It was bonkers, I've never seen anything like it :lol:
    Was fun though!
  • bennett_346
    Granted it wasn't a biblical shower. We defo weren't riding like snails though! Maybe some parts of the Portes du Soleil drain better than others, we were in Chatel which seems to be a bit better drained and surfaced that say Morzine.
  • miss notax
    You must have had drizzle, or were riding like snails then. The entire mountain turned into a mudslide when I was there, and with high rollers/minion I couldn't even make the first turn, or slow down. It was bonkers, I've never seen anything like it :lol:
    Was fun though!

Actually, scrub my previous post, I rode with a Swampthing on the front all week. It was torrential rain all week (all bar the first day) - I had obviously blanked that from mind :lol:

So my revised advice is minion/ high roller if dry, swampthing / high roller if wet!!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• YeehaaMcgee
    Actually, as I think about it, next time I go riding DH in the alps, I'll just stick the widest supertacky swmpthings that I can get my hands on, front and rear.
    They grip like a very very grippy thing indeed, and there's not much need to pedal, since it's all gondola/chairlift assisted DH.
  • bennett_346
    The 42a swampy is a very good tyre. I've ran one all last winter and put it on when its been wet during the spring/summer and it's only just beginning to pass the point of wearing out too much to use.

Very predictable and doesn't roll too badly for what it is.
  • miss notax
    Goodness - for the first time ever I seem to have said something on BikeRadar that is both useful and people agree with :lol:

It'll never last :(

• bennett_346
    I don't think i've ever said anything useful or that people have agreed with on BikeRadar :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I don't think i've ever said anything useful or that people have agreed with on BikeRadar :lol:
    Of course you have. :lol:
  • bennett_346
    That comment yeah, clever :lol:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I rode dual ply super tacky highrollers front and rear my season out there on my Patriot - it rained a lot (as in 28 out of 31 days of August) and I never changed tyres - I used to go up and do the "plenney no brakes challenge" in the mud - now that was fun - you just use the accumulating mud on your tyres and frame as a speed retardant or two wheel drift through the corners. Oh and you crash. Dont forget to crash.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • DeafMetal
    DeafMetal Posts: 2
    Granted it wasn't a biblical shower. We defo weren't riding like snails though! g.gif
  • hoolabloom
    So 2 wet screams required, unless i leave Mrs Hoolabloom to slide off the hill if it rains. :lol: Or she can always just MTFU

Cheers guys cant wait
  • bennett_346
    ???