London

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited June 2012 in The cake stop
I went there once - not a big fan. Doesn't have a cosmopolitan feel - seems an angry place.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    That's because it's full of miserable provincials who have moved there in search of work.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I would like to try pie and eels and mash though, even as a vegetarian, I feel I'm missing out on something traditionally english. I did make a point of drinking a pint of porters ale in the capital though.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    I would like to try pie and eels and mash though, even as a vegetarian, I feel I'm missing out on something traditionally english. I did make a point of drinking a pint of porters ale in the capital though.

It ends in this

Mod - Picture removed.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    it's 'cause it's full of angry commuters !
    :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    My favourite thing about London is that people from there when asked "where does one come from" will answer by naming the street, and failing to mention 'London'.

I once sat in a pub on the west coast of Scotland and asked someone 'where are you from then?' to which they answered "just off Weymouth Street, mate".

Yup.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    On arrival at one of the main train stations I went to the information desk to ask for directions to Grovsenor Street.

"Dunno mate. Don't live here" Was the answer. :shock: :?: :?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    I get irritated with people who say "I'm in London, let's meet up!" only to have ended up somewhere north-east just inside the M25. It'd genuinely be quicker to take the train to Paris from where I live than to get there.

London's got more people than Finland. It's a big place.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    John Cleese hit the nail on the head
  • nweststeyn
    Theres a hole in the earth like a great black pit and the vermin of the world inhabit it and it's morals aint worth what a pig would s***... and it goes by the name of Londonnnn...
  • Remember arguing with someone once about the concept of going "up" to London despite the fact I live in Yorkshire.

My counterpoint was that I go down to London however if I happened to live in Brighton for instance then I would go up.

The funniest thing was watching them wrestle with this concept and ultimately failing to grasp it.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099

Only five French cities have more French people living in them than in London.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18234930
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    the streets are paved with gold aren't they?
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    I get irritated with people who say "I'm in London, let's meet up!" only to have ended up somewhere north-east just inside the M25. It'd genuinely be quicker to take the train to Paris from where I live than to get there.

I had a friend who lived in Colindale in north London, when we left for example Oxford St at the same time, I could be home in St Neots before she was home. That would annoy the hell out of me!
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Born London, raised London, lived London and worked London all my life. Fantastic place, wonderful city. Takes more than a lifetime to get to know it. Just defining what and where 'London' is would be beyond me! Sure other places are marvellous and worth visiting too - we are all proud of where we come from surely. For me, its London......
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Born London, raised London, lived London and worked London all my life. Fantastic place, wonderful city. Takes more than a lifetime to get to know it. Just defining what and where 'London' is would be beyond me! Sure other places are marvellous and worth visiting too - we are all proud of where we come from surely. For me, its London......

Well said! However, most of us don't come from London so the concensus can be that it's sh1t :lol:

(actually, I come from not far North of London and I do have an affection for it but I couldn't live there - I like the outdoors!)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612

I had a friend who lived in Colindale in north London, when we left for example Oxford St at the same time, I could be home in St Neots before she was home. That would annoy the hell out of me!

If you live in Colindale, you wouldn't go shopping in Oxford Street!
  • Trickyh
    Trickyh Posts: 50
    KentPhil wrote:
    the streets are paved with gold aren't they?

''Paved with dropped kebab salad!''

Copyright Alexi Sayle sometime in the 80's
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461

I had this from someone a while ago. "We're near London". It turned out they were in Swindon.

Bob
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    beverick wrote:
    I had this from someone a while ago. "We're near London". It turned out they were in Swindon.

Bob

If you've ever travelled in, for example, British Columbia you might accept that viewpoint without question :lol:

Anyone who lives within 100km of you could quite easily be at the next turning on the left!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nweststeyn
    I was in Australia a few weeks ago and the same applies. You forget the scale of the Earth when you live in the UK, really.

When I grew up in Holland it was even worse - we treated Amsterdam like it was a big scary place far away from home... Only now I'm old enough to understand what distance 25 miles really is do I see that we pretty much lived in the Amsterdam suburbs.

P.S. Rolf - I was looking at your Water Aid challenge... how is that going? Do you have a total of miles covered so far? :)
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Rolf F wrote:
    beverick wrote:

Bob

If you've ever travelled in, for example, British Columbia you might accept that viewpoint without question :lol:

Anyone who lives within 100km of you could quite easily be at the next turning on the left!

The total fluke was that it was my distant cousin who'd been told that I was in London by my Mother (who having been given a UK mobile number having rung a Canadian landline number we had from the 1970's 'on spec').

I was actually in - wait for it - Swindon.

Her great grandfather, my grandfather's brother, had migrated to Canada. Now, 93 years later we had both travelled to Swindon (me from Leeds, her from Ontario) independetly and without any knowledge of each other's existence, to bring the two legs of the family together.

Our families having lived 3000 miles away from each other for 93 years we were now, by equal co-incidence and as near as made no difference, the same distance from each other thay my grandfather had lived from his brother.

It was truly a bizarre moment.

Bob
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,488
    beverick wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    beverick wrote:

Bob

The total fluke was that it was my distant cousin who'd been told that I was in London by my Mother (who having been given a UK mobile number having rung a Canadian landline number we had from the 1970's 'on spec').

I was actually in - wait for it - Swindon.

Her great grandfather, my grandfather's brother, had migrated to Canada. Now, 93 years later we had both travelled to Swindon (me from Leeds, her from Ontario) independetly and without any knowledge of each other's existence, to bring the two legs of the family together.

Our families having lived 3000 miles away from each other for 93 years we were now, by equal co-incidence and as near as made no difference, the same distance from each other thay my grandfather had lived from his brother.

It was truly a bizarre moment.

Bob

Not that bizarre, Swindon is the hub of the universe after all ;)
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Iirc, I was last there at the end of 1993 - good times :) - stayed in Bexley Heath, used to come in for nights out.