C 2 C

Stone Glider
Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
edited June 2012 in The cake stop
Went on an organized trip from Whitehaven to Tynemouth this weekend. Only got as far as Penrith :oops: Teeming rain and a solid easterly headwind put me off the whole enterprise after the first day :( The rest of the party carried on and respect to them but it was supposed to be enjoyable and I was hating it. The scenery is spectacular but it isn't available when clouds sit on the hillsides and you have rain driving into your face. Also choose equipment that will cope with the conditions, my Hybrid with cross tyres was fine until the roads started to point upwards in a serious manner and sodden trails gave little grip for insufficiently knobbly tyres. It was seriously over-geared to handle gradients in Cumbria, it was fine in the Midlands, honest.

I tried to do this trip two years ago and was struck down with an illness that left me on the operating table the day I was to start. So I fulfilled my ambition to have a go, failed to fulfil the mission but now know I do not want to do it.

Hope I can post on this forum, it seems a bit lonely....... mustn't grumble......
The older I get the faster I was