Weight Weenie needs "Seat & Seat Post" advice

2»

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Chainset, as you've identified elsewhere, brakes, grips.

Take your lights off. Schwalbe Evo tyres. Consider a Furious Fred on the back at least if you're not riding anywhere technical/rocky.

Single ring saves a chunk, potentially a compromise if the gearing doesn't work for you. Going 2x10 will save very little.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thanks for that, I was in two minds about the Evo tyres, so that may be ne next purchase when these are done.

The weight was without lights, there away now until winter.

I'd be interested in a single ring perhaps, i'll need to look into this more, but once me seat and post is on that'll be me done for a while.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    I would guess that the chainset is a really weighty one. I would change it as it wears out. And I would go for a double without a bash.

Also, for the brakes, see what Formula can offer..
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • njee20
    It's all a function of what gears you use frankly. A double (in some guise or other) will almost certainly cover the range you need, but doesn't save much weight. A single will compromise on what gears you have, but saves a load of weight. I run a 36t single ring with 11-36 and find it great, a slightly taller gear would be nice on the road to the trails, but I can live with that.
  • Anonymous
    Yeah I think the BB is like 1kg or sommat :lol:

I would really like to go to a single front ring but I dont know too much about all this gearing, its something I am gonna have to read up on and educate myself about, I do like to go flat out as it is as much as I can so I would like to keep the top speed the same or there abouts if poss.
  • njee20
    Then unless you compromise massively on the easier gears a single won't work for you. Saying that... think about how often you really use your 44/11 top gear. With 36/11 I can still pedal comfortably up to c24mph, and can spin faster.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Couple of hundred grammes sticking some MG1's on, or similar lighter pedals
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Very interesting topic this ... I ran with a mate of mine recently and I thought I was quite quick and he left me for dead, I was gutted lol and he was on a full sus, mind you he was about 5 stone lighter than me, his advice was always run in the large chain ring, I thought he was mad, anyway I tried it and I love it, so I spend most of my time in it now and I'm a lot faster.

On my route into the pines its a fair bit of tarmac and I get close to 30mph however on the trails its average 22.5mph, damn I wish I hadnt read this, .. more debt :lol: i'll have to see if I impale myself on the new seat post first if that goes ok then i'll seriously look into this single speed lark, could have one fast rigid xc racer then :D

I might bang me pedals on evilbay or sommat then and look for an alternative, should still fetch top dolla, cost 110 notes and they only ship from canada now and there like new, what am I on about they are new :lol:
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    On the trails its average 22.5mph

Get yourself in the olympics!
  • njee20
    Get yourself in the olympics!

+1

Or get a new computer!
  • Anonymous
    :lol::lol: bit too tubby for that me thinks :lol:

This is kinda runs I do locally, its me goin balls out tryin to do local trail in under 15 mins, hence me wanting a tall final gearing

endo.jpg
  • njee20
    Right, so that's not an average at all, but a maximum.

You'd be fine with a single ring for that sort of thing.
  • Anonymous
    Did I say average ? .... bugger so I did :lol: sorry obviously meant top speed like :oops:

Yeah single ring will be the way to go next I recon.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Yes, do it! Single ring for the win, may aswell change when you swap your cranks. You'll need some sort of basic chain device, but these are only cheap.

Have you tried SPD's?
  • CubeCrazy wrote:
    Did I say average ? .... bugger so I did :lol: sorry obviously meant top speed like :oops:

Yeah single ring will be the way to go next I recon.

Check out the gear ratio thing on the Sheldon brown site. http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

I used it when i went to 1x9 from 3x9 and with the right chainring i managed to only lose a couple from the top end and a few from the bottom (never used the granny anyways). I use a 36t Salsa ring upfront (light), and an 11-34 at the back and i havent missed a single gear since the change over.
  • Anonymous
    Wonderful guys some great info, thanks :)

Not tried spd's yet but I bet they would help me with the upstoke when doing canal miles etc.

Thanks for that link penguin I'll definitely check that out when on pc later, definitely sounds like it would suit me tho :D
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Look at Sheldon Brown`s gear calculator.I recently worked out that going 1 x 10 with a 11-36 cassette with a 34 chainring would only lose me the 2 lowest and 2 highest gears,I could use a short cage mech,and lose 250g in weight over my current 3 x 9 set up.

I looked at 2 x 10 aswell with a 38/26 chainset and 11-36 and that only lost me the top and bottom gears,but was no lighter because what I lost by losing a ring at the front was cancelled out by the lardy 11-36 cassette and I`d still need a long cage mech.

So now tempted by 1 x 10,which would be all I need for local rding though I`d probably want more gears for trail riding.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Anonymous
    Howdy guys :D

Well after waiting nearly a week and seat and post not turning up I went down to the local sorting office today after the postie failed to deliver again and asked if they had any parcels for me, turns out they did, I asked why they wasn't delivered and all I got was a shrug of the shoulders and "dunno" comment .. there lucky they have 6mm of perspex between me and them I can tell you, fumin I was, my parts have been just sat there nearly a week because Royal Mail couldnt be arsed to deliver um :evil:

Anyway I unboxed them and I am very impressed, firstly the seat, very top quality and should be for 100 quid, it came on like a plastic display piece and it was all very nice, the seat post was equally well packaged with a nice custom cover for the post.

Installation went well although I couldnt torque the clamp bolts up because the ratchet wouldnt fit so close to the seat post, so it was all a bit of guess work.

Anyway it all bolted together, I didnt snap nowt and I took it for a short run thinking it would be like sitting on a razor blade and.... there didnt appear to be any noticable difference in comfort at all :D in fact my arms seemed closer to the bars than before so am very happy.

Weight wise, I didnt make a 10kg bike .... :(

I made a 9.90kg bike :lol::D

So thats the wheelset done, seat and post, only chainset to do but that will be an end of year upgrade as for now I just wanna run it, I also lost 7lbs last week so comin in at 15st 9lbs at the mo and droppin rapidly so its alllll gurrd 8)

54741594.jpg
    84301111.jpg
    12933234.jpg
    48068163.jpg
    17678187.jpg
    26621568.jpg
    20028000.jpg
    25213508.jpg
    77292853.jpg
    74091698.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nearly a pound lighter in just the post and saddle, pretty impressive! Mine comes to about 350g (use a Gobi Ti - bit more weight to it, but very comfy!)
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    nice one