Weight Weenie needs "Seat & Seat Post" advice

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Evening folks :D

Right ... I'm turning my attention to my seat and seat post and could do with pointing in the right direction of what to buy and what would be suitable for my 16 stone frame :oops:

My current setup is like this:

Seat Clamp - 40g
Seat Post - 306g
Seat - 411g

Total - 757g

I have managed to find the MT Zoom Ultralight Seatpost Clamp which comes in at a feather weight of just 5.5g :shock: but now I am stuck on where to go from here with regards to a suitable seat for my weight and seat post.

I need to keep cost as low as poss too.

Any ideas on whats the lightest seat n post which is going to be useable and cost effective ?

Many thanks in advance :D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Eat fewer pies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    :roll:

Thanks for the advice, it's not all lard tho, I doubt I could drop much lower than 14 stone without losing muscle and I wouldnt want to lose these 18" guns :D school kids weigh more than that these days.

Endomondo.jpg

So anyone have any practical seat n post links please ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Same place you found the clamp. Or www.carboncycles.cc
    As for light saddles, how many hundreds do you want to pay?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Not too much, I found this:

New KCNC Ti Pro Lite seatpost, 30.9 x 350m ...... 165g :shock:
  • Anonymous
    There about 80 quid or thereabouts on evilbay.

I've also come across a nice saddle : Selle Italia Slr Xc Gel-Flow Saddle @ 170g for £77, I best go to bed before I bankrupt mesen :lol:
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    The most recommended saddle on the forum! A charge spoon coming in at 258g! 150g saving for £20 :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pity you need 30.9, as the exotic carbon is half the price but only a touch heavier (in 27.2)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Shim it. Which is always a good idea with a carbon post.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Right update on this as its sorted now.

So current set up is:

Seat Clamp - 40g
    Seat Post - 306g
    Seat - 411g

Total - 757g

Replacement setup is:

MT ZOOM Ultralight Seatpost Clamps - 5.5g
    KCNC Ti Pro Scandium Seatpost 350mm - 158g
    Selle Italia SLR TT Saddle - 130g

Total - 293.5g
    Saving - 463.5g

This should put me bike around 9.97kg and I only have chainset to replace and thats basically a new bike :lol:

I'll let y'all know what these components are like and if there worth our cash or not.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The clamps are good, got one on my road bike, but I used to break SLRs fairly regularly, and I weigh 5 stone less than you.

Watch the yokes on the KCNC post too!
  • Anonymous
    Oh man really ? jeez ...

Well am only takin it steady out there, light xc trails just wanna get me fitness up and drop a couple of stone, I dont do jumps or owt.

Me bike is so fragile now I darent sit on it lol.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I'v got the KCNC seatpost and have been very happy with it.
  • Anonymous
    Awesome :) my only concern is I don't have a torque wrench that goes as low as 5nm, so I was thinking of just going by feel.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    my only concern is I don't have a torque wrench that goes as low as 5nm, so I was thinking of just going by feel.

I wouldnt risk it with those arms.
  • Anonymous
    I am a bugger for snapping bolts :( I used to snap um on me R1 fairing all the time, I bought 3 torque wrenches but none go that low, I recently snapped a steel seat post clamp on a kids bike as I was tightening it for um :lol:
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    KCNC do several posts.The TI Pro is their weight weenie deluxe post,at aroung 160g but is only suitable for whippets.But they also do the SC Pro lite which is still lightish but can take up to 100kg.

I was tempted by that clamp but at 90kg went for the more robust sounding Woodman SL which is 14g.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • njee20
    Woodman do some nice light seatposts too. Very similar to New Ultimate, but may have a 90kg weight limit (NU do).

If you just want to go riding and lose some weight why bother with the silly light kit? Something like a Ritchey Superlogic and Specialized Phenom saddle will still be light, but without the 'will it/won't it snap' excitement.
  • Anonymous
    The reason I went with light components is because I don't intend on being this weight forever and therefore didn't wanna have to buy um twice.

I was 16st 1.8lbs yesterday, this morning I'd like 3.4lbs and I'm down to 15st 12.4lbs, if things go according to plan I'll be back into the low 14's in a months time.
  • njee20
    Yeah but as you've said you're not gonna drop below 14 stone you're still gonna be pretty heavy, I'd avoid really light kit full stop, not just at your current girth!

Hence something like the Superlogic post and a Phenom (the Pro is still c160g), which is still firmly in the lightweight category, without being stupid and prone to breaking.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Sorry for going off topic here but I'm surprised you weigh yourself daily - that's likely to pick up the general day to day fluctuations in weight and not give you a true idea of your actual weight.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Anonymous
    Damn I wish I'd have known this before.... it's all confusing to me.

You see, theres the 29er OnOne carbon rigid moutain bike thats just 8.5kg and has no rider weight limit, and the seat post for example says a 120kg rider weight limit for road and 85kg for XC and cos I only do light XC and am sub 100kg I thought I would be alright ? most of the trails I go on are not far off tarmac anyway, just limestone paths.

This is me YouTube channel and i've done 10 vids now on me GoPro of places I been, am more the getting out, fresh air, and doin some mega miles kinda rider :

http://www.youtube.com/user/GoProXC

I do weigh myself daily, have for years and find this to give me the best results, not opposite way round, I record my weight and daily food intake in a diary each day, I always weigh mesen butt naked, 6am every morning, I always have my last meal in an evening which is a protein shake around 6:30pm and i'm usually empty when I get on the scales.

I did this last month and lost 11lbs in 9 days, then I crashed, holiday, sunburn, no gym etc but am back on it now, yes it's a bit extreme, but am a firm believe in extreme efforts will yield extreme results :D
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    And you've kept that mantra for your bike I see, if that is the right way to go we will see if stuff breaks soon.
  • Anonymous
    Am sure if I take it steady and dont go jumpin off rocks and stuff it'll be fine, but if it does all crumble around me y'all be first to know.
  • njee20
    My point is that you're unlikely to see any meaningful difference between 'silly light' and 'light' stuff, except when it breaks...

If you want your bike to be as light as possible (and nowt wrong with that) then go nuts, but at your weight I'd not be chasing the silly light bits personally.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I got the KORE carbon I-beam post and SDG I-fly saddle for my WW project. it was a while ago but about 120 all in iirc. It was flat out the lightest combo I could find without going to road components and/or silly prices. I know people go on about how harsh I-beam saddles are and they do have a point but I am pretty used to it now, perhaps I have welts in the right places!

mind you, 300gr all up is pretty good, I'm not sure my combo is as light as that
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Anonymous
    Yeah I understand that mate totally, but I replaced everything on my bike apart from seat, post and clamp, theres only the chainset left then its basiclly a new bike lol its me pride and joy, I used to be into motorbikes and took that quite far, then I came off and needed a hobby, am well into me mountain biking, love the adventure and just enjoy blinging it up and makin it as light and efficient as poss to enable me to stay out as long as poss and do more exercise, but I hear what ya sayin.
  • Anonymous
    Delivery tomorrow, then i'll confirm weight and fire some pics up ... then advertise the bits when I break um :lol:
  • njee20
    Fair enough! You must have specced some other heavy parts for the full bike to still be that weighty?
  • Anonymous
    Hmm I dont know ? pedals were 440g pair, maybe thats heavy? .. I didnt start out wanting to reduce weight but I wasnt bothered about front sus and when I switched to the carbon forks, man I saw a huge difference in speed, the bike was so much more agile and it took 2k off the bike, then I was on a mission.

Cube said the frame was 1800g, the only things I havent replaced on my bike are in red, I think changing the heavy chainset and bb will offer me a good reduction but once that mods done i'll stop modding it and just ride 8)

Frame: Alu-Lite AMF 7005 RFR-Geometry (Blk/Grey)
    Protection: Biketape Frame Protection Film (Clear), Cube Chainstay Protector (Blk)
    Bolts: Full Frame & Caliper Pro Bolt 7075 Alloy Bolt Kit (Red) Aluminium Washers (Red)
    Seat: 2012 Selle Italia SLR TT Carbon Composite Shell, Titanium Rails (Blk/Red)
    Seatpost: KCNC Ti Pro Scandium Seatpost 31.6mm x 350mm (Blk)
    Seatclamp: MT Zoom Ultralight Seatpost Clamp 7076 T6 Aluminium, 10mm x 34.9mm (Red)
    Handlebar: Kingdom Lunar 680CRB Carbon Riser Bar (Carbon)
    Stem: Answer Rove XC Stem 2012 70mm-31.8mm CNC 3D Forged 6066 +8° Rise
    Stem Expander: M Part Carbon Fibre Fork Expander, Pace Carbon Compound Grease (Blk)
    Headset: Superstar Integrato Semi-Integrated 6061 Headset (Red), Nukeproof Turbine Spacers 6061 T6 (Blk)
    Grips: Token Double Lock-On Grips (Blk), Token Lock Rings (Red)
    Front Shifter: Shimano XT M770 9-Speed Rapidfire Pod
    Rear Shifter: Shimano XT M770 9-Speed Rapidfire Pod
    Cables/Ferules: Jagwire Alloy Gear Cable Ferrules (Red)
    Lights: Magicshine MJ-872 (1600 Lumens) Front Light - MJ-818 (85 Lumens) Rear Light
    Battery: Open Light Systems 7.2v 8.7Ah Lithium-Ion Battery
    Front Disc: Ashima Light Weight AiRotor Double Ground 410 Stainless 160mm
    Front Brake: Hayes Stroker Ryde
    Front Brake Adapter: KCNC Disc Brake Adapter IS Fork - Post Caliper AL-7075 160mm (Red)
    Rear Disc: Ashima Light Weight AiRotor Double Ground 410 Stainless 160mm
    Rear Brake: Hayes Stroker Ryde
    Rear Brake Adapter: KCNC Disc Brake Adapter IS Fork - Post Caliper AL-7075 180mm (Red)
    Brake Disc Bolts: Uberbike Titanium Ti-6Al-4V Cold Forged Aerospace Grade M5 x 10mm Rotor Bolts
    Fork: Kingdom Bike Tracker 26” Carbon XC Race Specific Fork
    Rims: ZTR Stans Crest Race Rim BST
    Spokes: Sapim Ultralight CX-Ray Bladed Spokes (Blk)
    Nipples: Sapim Ultralight SILS Alloy Nipples (Red)
    Front hub: Switch EVO CNC Forged 32 Hub with Cartridge Bearings (Blk)
    Rear hub: Trizoid CNC Forged Triple Pawl Superfast 120 Engagement Ultralight Hub with EZO Cartridge Bearings (Blk/Red)
    Skewers: Superstars Superfly Catbon-Ti Ultralight Quick Release (Carbon/Red)
    Tyres: Schwalbe Rocket Ron Performance 2.10 PaceStar Triple Compound 127 Evo Carcass
    Inner Tube: Maxxis Fly Weight Butyl Tube
    Rim Tape: Maxxis Rim Strip
    Chainset: Shimano FC-M430 44x32x22T - 175mm
    Chainring Bolts: Mowa Chainring Bolt Set 7075 T6 (Red)
    Bottom Bracket: Integrated Shimano BB-UN26
    Cassette: SRAM PG990 11-32T, 9-Speed (Red)
    Chain: SRAM PC991 Nickel Plated Power-Link II
    Front derailleur: Shimano XT M770 9-Speed Top Swing 34,9mm
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Rear Mech “Rapid Rise” 9-Speed M770 SGS Long Cage
    Mech Hanger: Cube 10130 Alloy Hanger (Red)
    Speed: 3x9 Speed (27)
    Pedals: Dark Cycles Arachnid Pedals CNC Billet 6061 T6 (Red)
    Weight: 13.5kg Standard – 10.4kg Modified

Can you spot any other areas in where I could save weight ?