Giant defy 1 v defy 0

elvisliveson
elvisliveson Posts: 12
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Have been salivating over a defy 1 (£999) for a while until my cycle-to-work scheme starts up. I went into the giant shop the other day and the staff showed me a defy 0 which is apparently from europe. They brought it in as they are short on Defy 1's. The 0 is going for £1149. It has a load of ultegra kit on it, but the same frame. It is also matt black and looks like as awesome as a pair of oakley sunglasses.

My question as a novice is, is the extra £149 worth it for the kit or would I be choosing a bike because I like the colour ? I reserve the right to choose arguments which support my inclination !!

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    To me it isn't worth it, considering that for £1000 you can buy a Canyon Roadlite with Full Ultegra and mavic aksiums...

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2500
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    If it looks good then go for it...

you're chances of finding a Defy 1 locally are pretty slim for two reasons: a) they've been very popular (rightly so), b) shops are already running down stock in anticipation of next year's bikes.

p.s. I've got the Defy 1 and its awesome! the reviews don't lie!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Oakleys are overated
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    You may well be above your C2W voucher limit (most companies say a max of £1,000, I think) so you might be able to negotiate some discount on the £1,149 RRP. Lay it on thick, "well over budget etc etc".
    gabriel959 wrote:
    To me it isn't worth it, considering that for £1000 you can buy a Canyon Roadlite with Full Ultegra and mavic aksiums...

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2500

But can he buy the Canyon from his LBS with the associated service and support? Have to agree though, the Canyon looks like good value with that groupset and it's 'anything but a Giant' ;-) (nothing wrong with the Defy, I ride one - but they are the ford focus of the bike world - good value, good quality, but common!).
  • Ah, the 'ford focus' of the bike world !! Well I will be mirroring my choice of car then! I'm going to try for a discount on the 0, but I imagine I'll probably end up with the 1. As a novice, I probably wouldnt notice the difference in components offered by the 0, so I would just be paying for the Hotblack Desiato look.
  • The Canyon Roadlite 7.0 certainly has a stunning spec sheet for the money, even better than the Defy 0, which is also a damn high spec sheet for the money. It would come down to how they ride, which is far more important than a spec sheet in practice. I've riden a Defy 1 and it is lovely to ride - very comfortable and very quick. I had two problems with it: I don't like white bikes, I prefer black and I wasn't totally convinced by the 105 kit. Therefore, when I saw the Defy 0, I snapped one up immediately.

I can't comment on the Canyon, as I've not ridden one nor read much about them, but the Defy 1 always scores very highly in tests and especially for value for money. The Defy 0 has a few key upgrades and, for me, well worth it.

Not sure where in Europe the Defy 0 comes from - they don't have it in Spain, but do in Germany (I haven't checked other countries as I don't speak enough of their languages to make much sense of the websites).

Reading the spec sheets from Germany, I make it front mech, rear mech, shifters (all Ultegra from 105), brakes (Shimano R561 from Tektro TK-R540). The wheel rims are listed as P-Elite rather than P-R2, but the bike shop I spoke to said they were the same. Everything else seems to be the same (except for the colour :D ).

One thing to check, both the compact and triple versions are being imported right now. Mostly the triples seem to be £1149 and the compacts £1099, but the best way to be sure is check the spec - if the chainset if R563 it is a triple if R565 a compact. I believe (but am not certain of this) that 6700 is for compacts and 6703 for triples too on front mechs. Most Defy 1 models are compacts, but I believe there are a few triples floating around too.

My Defy 0 should arrive tomorrow, so may be able to give more valid information on the riding differences after that.
    Have fun,
    The Hill Ninja

Serious hill climber when walking, but world's worst climber on a cycle.
  • And, by the way, where are all these Defy 1s? I've not seen a single one on the road (SW London / Surrey). Everyone says they are common, but I've been looking for a while and never seen one, as I've been seriously contemplating buying one for months (boy, am I glad I did hold on). I have seen a couple of Defy 2s, but not the 1.
    Have fun,
    The Hill Ninja

• alihisgreat
    hill_ninja wrote:
    And, by the way, where are all these Defy 1s? I've not seen a single one on the road (SW London / Surrey). Everyone says they are common, but I've been looking for a while and never seen one, as I've been seriously contemplating buying one for months (boy, am I glad I did hold on). I have seen a couple of Defy 2s, but not the 1.

They're automatically common because they're branded giant... even though you're no more likely to see one than any other brand from my experience.
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    The good thing is that if you end up with the 1 then you have £150 left to spend on a nice pair of Oakleys:-)
  • My Defy 0 arrived today. I only got time for a short ride (10km), but it certainly addresses the two problems I had with the Defy 1: The gear changing is quite a bit smoother and it most definitely is not white. 8) Keep this up and I'll be the Road Ninja and not just the Hill Ninja.

Not sure about these single sided pedals though. I've always had double sided off road style ones before, but decided to be brave and go for road pedals this time, though still with SPD cleats. How the hell do people manage to get the right side of the pedal to clip into??? I've just slackened off the springs too, as I normally have thenm very loose, but forgot to loosen them today before going out. Hopefully that will make it easier to clip in. At least when I get the damn pedal the right way up. Still, at least I didn't crash.
    Have fun,
    The Hill Ninja

• Well, my choices have been narrowed somewhat. Went to the Giant retailer on monday, the 0 has gone. So put my name down for the 1. Have now discovered my employer is going with the half0rds scheme. I understand that I may (not hopeful) be able to get a defy 1 through the scheme but it will be built etc through halfords. Slightly concerned about it being put together by a none giant parttime student and warranty/maintenance issues. Going to have a look at the carrera virago and boardman team just to get an idea of whats on offer. Any comments appreciated.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Defy and the Canyon have pretty different geometry ?
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • alihisgreat
    Well, my choices have been narrowed somewhat. Went to the Giant retailer on monday, the 0 has gone. So put my name down for the 1. Have now discovered my employer is going with the half0rds scheme. I understand that I may (not hopeful) be able to get a defy 1 through the scheme but it will be built etc through halfords. Slightly concerned about it being put together by a none giant parttime student and warranty/maintenance issues. Going to have a look at the carrera virago and boardman team just to get an idea of whats on offer. Any comments appreciated.

The Boardman team is the other 'best' bike in the £1k pricerange so you can't really go wrong with it as long as it fits. (its going to be a racier geometry though.)

The Carrera Virago is less highly regarded... the frameset is quite flexy according to the Bikeradar review.
  • Very interesting seeing all your comments about the Defy range. I am fairly new to cycling.. I have had a Giant CRS SE hybrid (cheap) for about 8 years now. Apart from a London to Brighton a couple of times and a Hampton to Hove, have only used it for the local trips to the school with the kids etc. However signed up as part of a team to do the London to Southampton (where I live now) and have really got the cycling bug. Have only been training for about 3 weeks and doing roughly 100 miles per week at the moment around the south downs and local area. (beautiful).
    Anyway a friend of mine recommended the Giant Defy 1.. I went yesterday to the LBS (part of CycleWorld chain) to test ride it.. and found it simply amazing especially going up hills or putting on the power.. Cost is £1000 but do interest free credit over two years after deposit, so affordable at £37 per month..
    Just found out that they have the Defy 0 in limited quantities in XL ( I am 6ft 4") which is perfect for me.. For the Extra £200 spread over the two years, I think I am going to go for it.. especially because the Black/White and Blue colouring looks stunning.
    My friend advised me to go for SPD's and cleat pedals, but with wide feet and typically struggling to find shoes that fit, I am going to start with just plain old strappy pedals..
    Next stop.. London to Paris April 2014 - have the pack through.. don't know whether to do the 3 day or the 4 day version.. Any tips on this?
    Thanks
  • ianwilliams
    ianwilliams Posts: 257
    Get a price drop on the Defy 0. 2014 models have been announced and you can already pick up a 0 for £1000 online.
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    Galatzo wrote:
    Defy and the Canyon have pretty different geometry ?

Nope, very similair in fact.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    I have the Defy 0 in matt black. Brilliant. However, the matt black is a 2012 european model; possibly get some money off for previous years colours if you can find one? I think (not certain) the 2013 comes in black and white.

Also, it's not quite as 'ultegra' as you might think. But still, brilliant.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    I have the Defy 0 in matt black. Brilliant. However, the matt black is a 2012 european model; possibly get some money off for previous years colours if you can find one? I think (not certain) the 2013 comes in black and white.

Also, it's not quite as 'ultegra' as you might think. But still, brilliant.

The 2013 Defy0 is gloss black with blue and white accents. Lovely bike but I now lust after carbon having had mine 5 months! It's fast but carbon is sure to be faster right? :roll: Also have a creaky BB which is annoying for a new bike. Not many 0's about now, Giant have no more stock for this year. Ultrgra parts are limited to rear mech and shifters. A bit stingy, they could have gone with Ultegra brakes and/or chainset. Non inclusion does cheapen the spec somewhat. An upgrade at a later date possibly?
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    hill_ninja wrote:
    How the hell do people manage to get the right side of the pedal to clip into???

Speedplays.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)