Front fork not sitting flush

sutbags
sutbags Posts: 45
edited June 2012 in Workshop
I recently built a new work bike out of a Forme plateau frameset.The problem is when I let go off the bars whilst riding the bike seems to veer to the left.The steerer tube does not line up with the top tube on the frame when I look from the front , it seems to lean slightly to one side.The crown race is flush on the fork and the bearing ( integrated ) is moving freely. I can't think of anything other than the integrated cups in the frame are not at 90 degrees :? :cry:

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    You definitely bought the headset and bearings appropriate for the frame?
  • sutbags
    I bought the headset from my LBS and they fit it there and then. The Forme website states that you need a 45 degree integrated and the one fitted is a Stronglight 45 degree integrated.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    Have you considered that the frame is out of alignment - if the headset is fitted correctly as you say then you have to look at the frame itself and you said the steer tube doesn't line up with the top tube!
  • sutbags
    Took it to my LBS and they checked the frame with the long Park Tool gauge,the rear triangle is out about 8mm.It's an ally frame so they said we can't bend it.I will have to gain some weight on my right side only!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    8mm is a lot. Has it been in a crash?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • sutbags
    The frame is brand new! I tried it out with a metal straight edge after I'd been to the LBS and the difference was about 5mm.I've bought a duffer by the looks of it and I'm past the refund and return date.I was wondering if I could space the difference out on the back wheel but the guy at the shop said that would throw the wheel off center.I should of had it checked whilst they were fitting the headset at the LBS ..... lesson learned .
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    sutbags wrote:
    The frame is brand new! I tried it out with a metal straight edge after I'd been to the LBS and the difference was about 5mm.I've bought a duffer by the looks of it and I'm past the refund and return date.I was wondering if I could space the difference out on the back wheel but the guy at the shop said that would throw the wheel off center.I should have had it checked whilst they were fitting the headset at the LBS ..... lesson learned .

What do you consider the 'refund and return date'? Whatever the shop says you do have consumer rights.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    was it bought from the shop that fitted the headset?

not that integreated really need fitting the only part tat needs any tools is the crown race and if that is a split ring or integreated into the fork then no tools are needed at all other than for cutting the steerer tube.

I would take it to another shop for a second oppinion and if the frame is out send it back for replacement.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sutbags
    I bought it off ebay from an online bike warehouse. My LBS told me to bring in the frame once I had received it and they would sort me out with a headset,seat post and clamp. The bike shop I go to has proper engineers working there and has a very good reputation.If they say the frame is unfixable I believe them.The bike is only used for work and is still very rideable but I will always have that feeling that something is not right.I think I will email the shop that I bought it off and see what the reply is.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Post up some pics.

Did the shop machine the fork to make sure the crown race seat is correct?

Not knowing the frame or fork I am just going through what I would check.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    No manufacturer's warranty?

Regardless of the 'refund and return date', if the frame is out of alignment then it is not fit for purpose. Report it to the shop immediately and politely demand a replacement. If they refuse, get Trading Standards on the case.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • sutbags
    The fork had already been machined and the crown race fits snug.I am borrowing an angle finder tomorrow to check the headpost and seat post angles.If the headpost is out I will have to go for a refund.I took some pics but it doesn't show up very well so I've not bothered posting them up.
  • sutbags
    I phoned the bike warehouse were I bought the frame from and they said they will send me a replacement...problem solved I hope.