Headset installation

Red_Logic
Red_Logic Posts: 71
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Iv got my new carbon fibre R838 style frame from china and a headset with crown races etc. Question.....how do you install, everything, iv seen videos where they use tools but i can press the things in just using by hands, is that tight enough? Also do i need to apply grease and if so what kind of grease?
Thanks for any replies

Comments

• lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    Headset races are an interference fit you cannot put the cups in with your fingers. You'll need a press. If it is a carbon fibre frame I'd make sure it was done properly as risk of damage is big. If you cannot borrow a proper press then suggest you take it to your LBS and ask them to do it for you - should only cost £5-10 - nothing for peace of mind!
  • Red_Logic
    Red_Logic Posts: 71
    Iv got the crown race on, right to the bottom with just my fingers. it was sort of tight. Does it have to actually press into the fork i mean like make an impression in it or os ot being at the bottom just in contact enough?
    Thanks
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    Should be flush on the fork crown. Some go on easily with a little push, others need the tool to push them flush. You will not be able to do this with the cups. If you are pressing the cups in it is often best to do them one at a time - less error prone!