USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    emadden wrote:
    Anyone have the twitter accounts for all of these guys? I want to thank them. It takes balls to do what they did and in the long run I really believe that this will help our sport.

Vaughters

http://twitter.com/#!/Vaughters

Not sure about the others

Lots of love going Vaughters' way for this very reason already, I almost feel like joining twitter just to send 'well done' messages to these guys.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    If they are getting a 6month ban after the Vuelta, it is frankly a token. None of those guys are riding then, just training, so effectively pointless and no loss of income.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Vaughters has posted on twitter that no members of slipstream are getting 6 month bans
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Vaughters referring people to a statement dated May 27, 2010. I think it is the one in the link below.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/05/ ... ion_118885

We created Slipstream Sports because we wanted to create a team where cyclists could compete 100% clean.

It is an organization built on the core values of honesty, fairness and optimism. It is built on the belief in our ability to contribute to changing the sport’s future through a persistent commitment to the present.

Today, we continue to follow these core principles. We are very encouraged to see the incredible strides cycling has taken to clean itself up. Though it is important to acknowledge pride in the fact that cycling has never been cleaner, we find ourselves at a critical moment in cycling’s evolution: confronting its past.

The founding concepts of Slipstream Sports were put in place for riders committed to competing clean during their time at Slipstream Sports. We have total confidence not only in our anti-doping culture but also in our riders and staff. Everyone who works for us came here knowing in advance what we stand for as well as the standards to which they will be held.

We cannot change what happened in the past. But we believe it is time for transparency.

We expect anyone in our organization who is contacted by any cycling, anti-doping, or government authority will be open and honest with that authority. In that context, we expect nothing short of 100% truthfulness – whatever that truth is – to the questions they are asked. As long as they express the truth about the past to the appropriate parties, they will continue to have a place in our organization and we will support them for living up to the promise we gave the world when we founded Slipstream Sports.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Vaughters has posted on twitter that no members of slipstream are getting 6 month bans
    I think it's unlikely that any of the Garmin three will get a ban. Vaughters left USP in 1999, Vande Velde in 2003 and Zabriskie in 2004, so anything they talk about will fall outside the 8 year statute of limitations and they've not done anything bad enough to merit being seen as a special case.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    If they are getting a 6month ban after the Vuelta, it is frankly a token. None of those guys are riding then, just training, so effectively pointless and no loss of income.

So broadly similar to the Contador ban then, where he doesn't actually compete for just 6 months?

Oh the irony...
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    andyp wrote:

So broadly similar to the Contador ban then, where he doesn't actually compete for just 6 months?

Oh the irony...

But without the confession
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I hope the timing of this doesn't impact the huge 'job of work' Hincapie is doing for Evans in the early TDF stages.
    Working for Evans on the bike is probably a daily escape from the madness.
  • frenchfighter
    Er no x 100.

He lost a GT and a whole host of other races. (they didnt, not like they have any anyway)

He also lost the chance to compete this year in various races including the Giro and Tour. (they didnt)

He didn't get given a ban over Christmas where he will be training hard like a champ and not racking up the wins. (they did)

Eh. Good.

Andy's Contador hate is laughable and me impenetrable by it (FYI).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I hope UCI / WADA challenge these six month bans. It is important that Armstrong and co eventually face justice, but a 6 month off-season ban for doping simply doesn't cut it.

There are no 6 months bans.

It's made up by someone to make the USADA look bad.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    610x-6.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    Contador is in this whole mess. Remember, it's not just Lance or Bruyneel, but also Bertie's "coach"
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    This thread's going to reach 100 pages before the Tour reaches Paris.
  • FF, don't you find it a little strange that Contador got caught the year after he parted company with Bruyneel? i.e. under Bruyneel he was well protected ;)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Any sign of contrition from those who've coughed or is that too much to ask?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    iainf72 wrote:
    Contador is in this whole mess. Remember, it's not just Lance or Bruyneel, but also Bertie's "coach"

I asked Frenchie how he felt about this very thing earlier in the thread, but he somehow managed to ignore it. Perhaps my post count is too low, or I'm a hater, or I have no credibility, but it would be interesting to know if Frenchie has actually registered the fact that the USADA investigation may bring down his man... unlikely... lets just look at some gash photoshopped pictures of some shoes instead.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I asked Frenchie how he felt about this very thing earlier in the thread, but he somehow managed to ignore it. Perhaps my post count is too low, or I'm a hater, or I have no credibility, but it would be interesting to know if Frenchie has actually registered the fact that the USADA investigation may bring down his man... unlikely... lets just look at some gash photoshopped pictures of some shoes instead.

Not Defending Frenchies stance on Contador, but it sounds like it might be you with the chip on your shoulder here... :wink:
  • iainf72
    Any sign of contrition from those who've coughed or is that too much to ask?

They just need to say nothing. This whole thing is just a form of intimidation, probably courtesy of Mr Bruyneel. I'm sure the USADA have given them advise on what to do, WADA have confirmed they're working within the framework, so there should be no problems

Just let it play out.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    This thread's going to reach 100 pages before the Tour reaches Paris.

It's a chipper thread. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Chances of the commentating idiots actually discussing this on Urosport or ITV4 today?

Slim to negligible ? Cos we all love that EPO enhanced arrogant mofo for the trips on his private jet :mrgreen:
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Shane Stokes cycling ‏@SSbike
    as UCI_Overlord just reminded me, Johan Bruyneel writes a column for Telesport, which printed today's leaked news. Interesting
    Retweeted by Matt Rendell

Hmmm....
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Well, the thing to remember is just because we're all interested in Cycling in different ways, then it doesn't make us all sing off the same hymn sheet. We're all different. Some people appear very different or biased, but it doesn't matter.

Take Contador and doping for example. Some people will have read a lot on his possible doping, evidence/circumstance that adds up, and the next person might see him as just a brilliant cyclist and not want to know much else. Its exactly the same with Lance, or anyone who treats someone as a hero and as such wants to give them the benefit of the doubt as default, it always has been like this. Always will be.

More facts will come out. More implications, and I for one wouldn't be surprised if we see AC in a new case based on blood doping in the next year.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Not Defending Frenchies stance on Contador, but it sounds like it might be you with the chip on your shoulder here... :wink:

:lol: Your right... being told once by FF that I had "no credibility" still hurts. I've been in therapy ever since.

Happy to see LA being called to account. I guess AC's turn will come some other time.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • symo wrote:
    Chances of the commentating idiots actually discussing this on Urosport or ITV4 today?

Slim to negligible ? Cos we all love that EPO enhanced arrogant mofo for the trips on his private jet :mrgreen:

just got mentione don Eurosport, but had to stop listening as I'm now on a conference call :(
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Hmmm, Harmon not saying much about this...

Although not surprising really. Hope the people listed is true though, even if the ban thing isnt. Alteratively they know that t 6 month ban is coming but USADA has not OFFICIALLY sanctioned them and they re waiting until it's all over...We re not going to know the outcome until the end I reckon!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Ned Boulting:

''The deal cut with the American riders is, simply, Realpolitik. Was there a less compromised way of getting the evidence? I doubt it.''
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    so vaughters saying no one on his team getting a ban, and even the usual silent commentators now commenting on 6 months being nothing and effectively being bought seems the 'lance' spin machine is working unfortunately, can't answer the allegations so start chucking dirt and trying to undermine USADA... sad really, in my eyes they're not helping themselves by just standing up and facing their accusers as requested.
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Ned Boulting:

''The deal cut with the American riders is, simply, Realpolitik. Was there a less compromised way of getting the evidence? I doubt it.''

As long as Ned and others are happy if, for example, Lance cuts a deal to throw Bruyneel or Del Moral under the bus.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Er no x 100.

He lost a GT and a whole host of other races. (they didnt, not like they have any anyway)

He also lost the chance to compete this year in various races including the Giro and Tour. (they didnt)

He didn't get given a ban over Christmas where he will be training hard like a champ and not racking up the wins. (they did)

Eh. Good.

Andy's Contador hate is laughable and me impenetrable by it (FYI).

He lost those races on paper. Anyone who cares about cycling will remember that he won them. He also raced during most of his punishment. I am sure many banned riders would have loved to have had a ban like his.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Wow,the post are coming fast and furious now. I'm having trouble keeping up. All I can think of is what a time for "bikingbernie" to be "out of action" so to speak.