USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    He did pedal the "Floyd's parents are religious so he would never dope. That testosterone? He's all man!" line for quite a while too.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I think Mart Smeets might just be turning up to the avondetappe in black tonight.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Just remembered that Hincapie is retiring in August after the US Pro Challenge so he's not even going to have to serve the half-assed, off-season ban.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I can understand a short ban in the case of repentant dopers (Dave Z, Vaughters), but what about the guys like Bottle that just kept on doping. A six month off season ban isn't even a slap on the wrist.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Timoid. wrote:
    I can understand a short ban in the case of repentant dopers (Dave Z, Vaughters), but what about the guys like Bottle that just kept on doping. A six month off season ban isn't even a slap on the wrist.

Bottle?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Clearly someone from Camp Lance leaked it

Which was retarded, but the guy is so far gone he doesn't think straight. Obviously plan is to get them chucked out of the Tour. Gee Lance, do you think they'll give you an easier ride if you do that?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
    Vaughters just said no one on Garmin has a 6 month suspension now or in the future.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Timoid. wrote:

Bottle?

Leipheimer? HIs head looks a bit like a bottom, which sort of sounds like bottle...
  • disgruntledgoat
    iainf72 wrote:
    Vaughters just said no one on Garmin has a 6 month suspension now or in the future.

And followed it up with

"Which is a bummer as I was looking at a place in Bora Bora"

@gietvangent
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    MrTapir wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Bottle?

Leipheimer? HIs head looks a bit like a bottom, which sort of sounds like bottle...

Correct. DG meet bottle: http://nyvelocity.com/toto?page=1
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Daniel Benson saying JV just walks away when asked if he testified or not...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Wow! Well, that's that :shock:
  • iainf72
    Anyone with any common sense knows who spoke to USADA

The 6 month thing smacks of attempting to make it sound all so unfair.

Armstrong, Bruyneel et al have another 4 days to make their next submissions. They should be on that rather than trying to fight a PR battle they can't win.

Lance really doesn't give a toss about cycling, does he?
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    To Joe public wont it look a little strange when the guys whom confess to doping serve token 6 month 'bans' and dont miss any races, whilst Lance gets taken to the cleaners? Not that they've won a huge amount, but are DZ,Vande Velde etc losing any results?
  • iainf72
    Tom BB wrote:
    To Joe public wont it look a little strange when the guys whom confess to doping serve token 6 month 'bans' and dont miss any races, whilst Lance gets taken to the cleaners? Not that they've won a huge amount, but are DZ,Vande Velde etc losing any results?

There you go. It looks unfair.

Ok, so it appears to not be true, but never mind that
  • VerwoodAsh
    VerwoodAsh Posts: 196
    To me as more of a casual poster - so why aren't the teams the named riders on not making a press statement that their riders did admit to doping in the past alongside Lance and then subsequently being let go and off the tour or deny it.

I see this as a means to force people to admit that they testified - it should get nice any messy today.

Plus if they don't speak up - does it mean that the teams are willing to bury their heads in the sand too?
  • disgruntledgoat
    VerwoodAsh wrote:
    To me as more of a casual poster - so why aren't the teams the named riders on not making a press statement that their riders did admit to doping in the past alongside Lance and then subsequently being let go and off the tour or deny it.

I see this as a means to force people to admit that they testified - it should get nice any messy today.

Plus if they don't speak up - does it mean that the teams are willing to bury their heads in the sand too?

I think Vaughters went on recod as saying he would support any of his riders who cooperated didn't he?

Can you spell Witness Intimidation?

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    VerwoodAsh wrote:

They asked Vaughters, he denied there was a 6 month deal, but didn't deny testifying.

I'm not sure why anyone should make any statements really. Whoever did this has achieved the desired effect.
  • ddraver
    I really hope it does nt - becasue actually that would be the biggest Feck You Larry could get...everyone going "What, oh you again, yeah we knew about JV, DZ, CVdV and Hincapie but we ve forgiven them for mannign up and admitting it*"

(*I know!)
    - @ddraver
  • VerwoodAsh
    VerwoodAsh Posts: 196
    but I don't get the - "Miraculously, USADA has arranged for the suspensions to begin at the start at the end of the season so that they are able to race both the Tour de France and the Vuelta a Espana," the article states.

why and if that is the case then aren't USADA handing ammunition to LA's team about being picked on? They have confessed so why not 2 year bans to start immediately? I know it is up to each authority to choose what to do but it's like lettign the riders have one last hurrah.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Anyone have the twitter accounts for all of these guys? I want to thank them. It takes balls to do what they did and in the long run I really believe that this will help our sport.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • disgruntledgoat
    VerwoodAsh wrote:
    but I don't get the - "Miraculously, USADA has arranged for the suspensions to begin at the start at the end of the season so that they are able to race both the Tour de France and the Vuelta a Espana," the article states.

why and if that is the case then aren't USADA handing ammunition to LA's team about being picked on? They have confessed so why not 2 year bans to start immediately? I know it is up to each authority to choose what to do but it's like lettign the riders have one last hurrah.

I think the emerging tale is that there are no bans. It's hokum from the LA camp to muddy the waters and make it look like their man is beign victimised.

@gietvangent
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    I hope the timing of this doesn't impact the huge 'job of work' Hincapie is doing for Evans in the early TDF stages.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    emadden wrote:
    Anyone have the twitter accounts for all of these guys? I want to thank them. It takes balls to do what they did and in the long run I really believe that this will help our sport.

Vaughters

http://twitter.com/#!/Vaughters

Not sure about the others
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,584
    I hope UCI / WADA challenge these six month bans. It is important that Armstrong and co eventually face justice, but a 6 month off-season ban for doping simply doesn't cut it.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I hope the timing of this doesn't impact the huge 'job of work' Hincapie is doing for Evans in the early TDF stages.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I can't take any more! :cry:
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • ddraver
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I hope UCI / WADA challenge these six month bans. It is important that Armstrong and co eventually face justice, but a 6 month off-season ban for doping simply doesn't cut it.

Hmm, well the riders would just retire (as one of them already is....). Suspending JV would just screw up Slipstream who are doing a lot to fight the good fight...Plus remember Plea bargining is a huge part of US Justice.
    - @ddraver
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    iainf72 wrote:
    Clearly someone from Camp Lance leaked it

The article is in 'De Telegraaf' so the source is most likely Bruyneel.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2012
    Hmmm. A bunch of Americans confessing to doping, Very surprising.

CVV eh. Oh, flash in the pan, securing his contract and getting paid far more than he is worth most probably.

Levi eh. Hmm, oh yeah those performances.

---

Not sure how legit this is. Just because they talked to USADA doesnt mean they doped.
    Contador is the Greatest