USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Glad BB got nuked. He was right on LA, but was trolling on Roche, on women's racing and was a constant repeater of tedious Lemond contentions, esp against Wiggins. I hope the mods jump on any reincarnations of BB.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Glad BB got nuked. He was right on LA, but was trolling on Roche, on women's racing and was a constant repeater of tedious Lemond contentions, esp against Wiggins. I hope the mods jump on any reincarnations of BB.
    But the thing is, it's not a question of what he is right or wrong about - it's the manner and attitude.

Forumites of a certain age may remember "1066 and all that" and its summing up of the sides in the English civil war:
    Roundheads: Right but Repulsive
    Cavaliers: Wrong but Wromantic

For some people, being right (and acknowledged by others as such, i.e. winning the argument) is more important than anything else. I'm not so sure.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    bompington wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    But the thing is, it's not a question of what he is right or wrong about - it's the manner and attitude.

Forumites of a certain age may remember "1066 and all that" and its summing up of the sides in the English civil war:
    Roundheads: Right but Repulsive
    Cavaliers: Wrong but Wromantic

For some people, being right (and acknowledged by others as such, i.e. winning the argument) is more important than anything else. I'm not so sure.

It was unfair to speculate on wiggins, start misogynistic threads sneering at women. Glad BB is history. Hope he can control himself a little if he comes back on
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I have no idea why he's gone though, i can't remember him insulting anyone(???)

He had a rant about me being a xenophobe and suggesting I would call other Mediterraneans various national slurs (and using those slurs) just for suggesting that French riders are more interested in getting on TV than winning races (something Hinault has been saying for years).

Personally I found that pretty insulting. Others criticised him for it and I suggested he might want to retract it, but to no avail.

The guys an obsessive. He has no interest in actual bike racing, no sense of humour, the inability to form an opinion of his own and a rabid anti-American streak. If you like his postings, then the Cycling News forum is the place for you.

Having said all that, I thought he should be ignored, not banned. But maybe I didn't see everything.

Ah yeah, I remember reading all that, I thought it was more of a 'role of the eyes and ignore it' thing too.

Its not a case of enjoying the postings, some of the content of the cut n pasting can be interesting, and can be right on topic, that's all, its that content that's interesting.

As for the guy being an obsessive, I don't know, there's a lot of obsessive people on here who'll compulsively collect and post all sorts of information.

He might have no interest in bike racing, I don't know, is it relevant? I was accused of having no interest in bike racing myself, which is not true. But that was stupidly based on an assumption that 'how interested you are in the racing is directly proportional to how much you post about it' ...which was a simpleton-style assumption. I assume BB has said he's not interested in it though, if so, fair enough.

No taa to Cycling News Forum, I meant I liked to colour brought by having posters of different stances, the Asylum is mental... I suppose just a few obsessives on here is what gives the place character and life, but get a shed-load of them together as on CNF and well, you'd probably have to be one of them to stick with it?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    He's been banned before. Remember Aurelio?

That alter ego called me a fascist for stating I wasn't left wing, went dangerously close to anti semitism and still had that bizarre chip on his shoulder regarding how other nationalities view "The French".

HOwever, I don't agree with baning anyone for holding and expressing unpopular opinions. But then it isn't my forum is it?

I think he needs to get out in the fresh air more.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    it's great to see the sport is finally getting cleaned up. Lance has a lot to be blamed for..about a century of drug taking

Dave watch it mate the Fanboys will tell you to hawd yer weesht....along the lines of 500 drug tests...but they fail to mention the $200.000 for the UCI's doping test system that he helped pay for. :D

I wonder if he had not had ball cancer and had just won 7 TDFs, what would be the situation now? But no argument with you Gazetta , he's as dirty as hell and should be chased out the sport like others have recently

This is the thing. He's got a lot of fanboys because of the cancer. I don't think anyone would say that what he overcame was incredible. But it's unrelated to whether or not he doped (and was involved in cover-ups etc.). But all too often these people refuse to see past the cancer and the fact he's done a few bike rides with the public, so he must be a good guy :roll:

I'm sure he's acted as an inspiration, and offered help/support to plenty of people that need it. But that's all irrelevant in this case.
  • DNQ
    DNQ Posts: 45
    Dave_1 wrote:
    it's great to see the sport is finally getting cleaned up. Lance has a lot to be blamed for..about a century of drug taking
    Nobody has picked you up on this, unless it refers back to something in the last 50 pages.
    "..about a century of drug taking" tongue in cheek, yes?
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I'm sure he's deadly serious. After all everyone knows that Bruyneel bought Maurice Garin's SNCF ticket.

I personally suspect that Ferrari had something to do with Pheidippides doping related collapse. :lol:

• I think he needs to get out in the fresh air more.

there's an idea
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Free Bernie. I want Bernie back.
    At it's very worse this forum is streets ahead in terms of behaviour of the posters, than many others I've passed by.

Rick pleeeeease un-ban him, be the bigger man. He promises to write 100 times 'I love Tomeke'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I didn't ban him.

:)
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    I gave up reading this topic after 47 pages. I was so close but the risk of seeing another graph that I couldn't make any sense of was too much for me!

A lot of chat about there being a legal case to answer after the USADA are finished but surely the fact that the DOJ dropped the case (despite the investigators not knowing until the press conference) means that there's no legal case to answer? I'd fancy them to get far more information than the USADA can.

Can anyone enlighten me?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Roscobob wrote:
    I gave up reading this topic after 47 pages. I was so close but the risk of seeing another graph that I couldn't make any sense of was too much for me!

A lot of chat about there being a legal case to answer after the USADA are finished but surely the fact that the DOJ dropped the case (despite the investigators not knowing until the press conference) means that there's no legal case to answer? I'd fancy them to get far more information than the USADA can.

Can anyone enlighten me?

I susppect the case being dropped was more political rather than anything to do with the investigtion itself. You stated above the investigators didn't even know it was being stopped until the press conference so that hardly sounds like there was no case to answer. It seems actually charges were just about to be filed rather than there being no case to answer but somehow someone higher up pulled the plug
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    DOJ were investigating fraud

USADA investigating doping.

Doping is not illegal in the US so they are 2 completely different things.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dougzz wrote:
    At it's very worse this forum is streets ahead in terms of behaviour of the posters, than many others I've passed by.

Rick pleeeeease un-ban him, be the bigger man. He promises to write 100 times 'I love Tomeke'

Maybe he's gone into hiding. I wouldn't worry though. BB is a fighter and he will be back stronger than ever.We can't be without him. He's the top Lance Aholic on the site.
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    sherer wrote:
    Roscobob wrote:

Can anyone enlighten me?

I susppect the case being dropped was more political rather than anything to do with the investigtion itself. You stated above the investigators didn't even know it was being stopped until the press conference so that hardly sounds like there was no case to answer. It seems actually charges were just about to be filed rather than there being no case to answer but somehow someone higher up pulled the plug

Thanks!
  • iainf72
    USADA panel recommend filing charges

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ ... l-16681327
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    iainf72 wrote:

Wouldn't the DOJ need to prove doping in order to have a sound case of fraud? What would the fraud be about if say there was no doping?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    True, but that was nt the point of the DOJ investigation. If, for example, they had found cast iron, totalally undeniable proof that LA had doped - say a video of every injection he'd ever had with a copy of that days newspaper, but equally had proof that no public money had ever been used to pay for said drugs, then they would not have prosecuted.

Doping is totally legal under US law. That's what USADA is for. That's also the case in the vast majority countries worldwide, the French being notable exceptions.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    BBC now reporting that USADA have filed formal charges against Armstrong - Wonder if his Buddies the Chuckle brother's that are Sherwin and Liggett will mention anything...and pigs will fly eh.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,245
    iainf72 wrote:

Wouldn't the DOJ need to prove doping in order to have a sound case of fraud? What would the fraud be about if say there was no doping?
    Yes, but USADA don't need to prove fraud to establish doping so not the same at all.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    BBC now reporting that USADA have filed formal charges against Armstrong - Wonder if his Buddies the Chuckle brother's that are Sherwin and Liggett will mention anything...and pigs will fly eh.

"In the sport of professional swine aviation" that's just not going to happen. Phil and Paul will be polishing up a particularly neutral stance on this. Like a very old married couple they don't like conflict it's all about comfy slippers. They'll leave anything mildly controversial to the boys at Eurosport.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Yes, and Sherwen of course was Media Director(?) working PR for Motorola when Lance was there. Over the years after that Paul has still organised a few appearances/interviews, I think it would be fair to say Paul would be watching all this happen to a friend he personally knows quite well.

Phil and Paul make good money from commentary in the USA, so expecting a sensible point of view from them on it all.... well, it doesn't seem likely, the pig references seem bang on.
  • iainf72
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/lance-armstron ... d=16682619

Looks like Lance is keeping it classy
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    iainf72 wrote:

What a lowlife. Their press releases remind me a bit of Chemical Ali in the Iraq war - "we are winning, everything is fine, the Americans are losing", in front of a montage of coalition forces blowing up everything and hoisting a victory flag up etc.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    unbelievable. It's probably a good reminder though that if you are going to bring down LA you cannot afford to have any chinks in your armour.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    seems to be moving quicker than I thought. Interesting that now all they can go for is smear campaign rather than fighting the facts
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    iainf72 wrote:

Quite. :)

Interestingly, the second time I let the embedded vid' run its course and endured another advert, a completely new Lance report came up, and again after that. After three on the trot (Floyd featured in a couple of them) I jacked it in. I might suppose there may be more.
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    dougzz wrote:

Apparently Bernie was banned because he'd previously been banned when posting as Aurelio, and had reregistered under a new name. Once Future discovered BB was the same person the previous ban kicked in.