The England in Euro 2012 Thread - may contain results

GiantMike
GiantMike Posts: 3,139
edited June 2012 in The cake stop
10 minutes to kick-off in the first game against France. 11 men. 1 trophy. 3 Lions on my shirt.

article-1288860-0A29FAE0000005DC-499_634x385.jpg

and 2 great tits

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    On t train back...late for ko and I'm busting for a we!!

Just so long as we don't do a Holland and look like tits I ll be happy (though the those tits I could handle..)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    20 minutes in and still no sign of the f'king England band.

Hopefully they've been bludgeoned to death with their own instruments.
  • finchy
    Get in there!!!!!!!! :D:D:D
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Don't like the England goalie outfit. He looks like a golfer!
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Feck me we`re winning-sorry,its the highlights.Highlights,such irony.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    That Adrian wotsits... anyone actually like him? just realised he's been saying bye bye from warsaw not wallsall
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    JGSI wrote:
    That Adrian wotsits... anyone actually like him? just realised he's been saying bye bye from warsaw not wallsall

He is the single worst sports presenter ever.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    England were as expected.

Functional 4 4 2, 'brave' defending, reasonabley stingy at the back as most Hodgson teams are.

Same problems too. Too loose with possession, unincisive passing, and ultimately too often lacking a bit of quality (though Gerrard's cross was a peach). Seemed to suffer in the heat more than the French too.

They'll look a lot better with Rooney in the team if they keep their discipline.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954

Functional 4 4 2, 'brave' defending, reasonabley stingy at the back as most Hodgson teams are.

Same problems too. Too loose with possession, unincisive passing, and ultimately too often lacking a bit of quality (though Gerrard's cross was a peach). Seemed to suffer in the heat more than the French too.

They'll look a lot better with Rooney in the team if they keep their discipline.

Are you lining up England as your 2nd team if the Dutch are eliminated tomorrow evening? :P
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228

Are you lining up England as your 2nd team when the Dutch are eliminated tomorrow evening? :P

Ahem!
  • rick_chasey
    *shrugs*

I live here, speak the language, have an English girlfriend and English father.

People who don't have duel identity tend to get confused. *waits for a "what if England play Holland?" question*

Anyway, English or not, my comment still stands :P.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    johnfinch wrote:

Radio 5 told us that altho the FA had organised a dispensation via UEFA to allow the band + instruments in, security at the ground blocked them, presumably on the grounds of them being 'annoying tosspots'. It was nice to drive home with an England match on the wireless without the constant dirge of The Great Escape blaring away on a random collection of brass, in a variety of keys & tempos. Let's hope security v Sweden is as tight.
  • finchy
    CiB wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Radio 5 told us that altho the FA had organised a dispensation via UEFA to allow the band + instruments in, security at the ground blocked them, presumably on the grounds of them being 'annoying tosspots'. It was nice to drive home with an England match on the wireless without the constant dirge of The Great Escape blaring away on a random collection of brass, in a variety of keys & tempos. Let's hope security v Sweden is as tight.

Let's hope that for the Ukraine match they "accidentally" get given tickets amongst Ukraine's ultras.
  • finchy

Another problem with England was also that they didn't have anyone willing to let fly from 25 yards, unlike France with Nasri and Benzema. They aren't good enough to walk the ball into the net so if they are struggling to break down defences later in the tournament they're really going to struggle for goals.

Still, I don't think that this is going to be quite as turgid as other tournaments. At least there was a bit of fluid movement in the first half.
  • rick_chasey
    johnfinch wrote:

Another problem with England was also that they didn't have anyone willing to let fly from 25 yards, unlike France with Nasri and Benzema. They aren't good enough to walk the ball into the net so if they are struggling to break down defences later in the tournament they're really going to struggle for goals.

Still, I don't think that this is going to be quite as turgid as other tournaments. At least there was a bit of fluid movement in the first half.

Set pieces FTW.

Good set pieces allow bad teams to do very well in international football. Take a look at Greece.

S'why I was disappointed Crouch wasn't included. Ashley Young can deliver a great dead ball and can cross well too (and, for that matter, can fire a good 25 yarder), and Milner, for all his problems, can cross a good ball too.
  • finchy
    Yes, England are always quite threatening on set pieces, but I still would like to see someone have the bottle to just smack a ball from distance. I almost missed Frank Lampard yesterday.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    GiantMike wrote:
    10 minutes to kick-off in the first game against France. 11 men. 1 trophy. 3 Lions on my shirt.

article-1288860-0A29FAE0000005DC-499_634x385.jpg

and 2 great tits

May I contrast piccie of average looking Brit burd with every single shot of burds in the crowd at last night's Sweden/Ukraine game. Different league lads.

And no, England will come nowhere - Italy/Germany final, 2-1 Italy.

You heard it here first.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    *shrugs*

I live here, speak the language, have an English girlfriend and English father.

People who don't have duel identity tend to get confused. *waits for a "what if England play Holland?" question*

Anyway, English or not, my comment still stands :P.

By similar logic, I'm now allowed to have Germany as my second team, which is nice. My girlfriend doesn't seem fussed whether or not she gets England as a second claim! :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    johnfinch wrote:
    Yes, England are always quite threatening on set pieces, but I still would like to see someone have the bottle to just smack a ball from distance. I almost missed Frank Lampard yesterday.

Ashley Young?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 1nq4#t=64s
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I'm dreading Rooney coming back. The other England players seem in awe of him, and when he doesn't play well (which seems to be the norm in tournaments) it has an effect on the whole team and moral slumps. It would have been better to have left him behind as he couldn't play the first two anyway and as we could be out after those games it would have been better to have another option on the bench for emergencies.
  • rick_chasey
    Disagree. :P

A player like Rooney in the kind of very rigid settup Hodgon teams have is worth a lot.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

A player like Rooney in the kind of very rigid settup Hodgon teams have is worth a lot.

Says the Dutch boy..... :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    daviesee wrote:

Says the Scott?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    daviesee wrote:

Says the Scott?

Eh, Scot.
    Yes. We are experts on pi$h having watched it for the past few decades :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • finchy
    johnfinch wrote:

Ashley Young?

That's the sort of thing I was thinking about. Now, if he could just do that against Ukraine or Sweden...

I'm also looking forward to Shrek coming back, 'cos he's always willing to have a good go at the opposition defence and I have a feeling that he'll get a fairly decent supply this time around.
  • rick_chasey
    johnfinch wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Ashley Young?

That's the sort of thing I was thinking about. Now, if he could just do that against Ukraine or Sweden...

I'm also looking forward to Shrek coming back, 'cos he's always willing to have a good go at the opposition defence and I have a feeling that he'll get a fairly decent supply this time around.

Young, Wellbeck, Rooney.

Good combo.

United attacking three, chelsea defending three.*

S'alright. Makes sense.

*well it was. Defending two now.
  • verylonglegs
    Does Crouch actually score that many from set pieces? I always thought despite his height his heading is poor and also foreign refs tend to give a lot of free-kicks against him when he invariably ends up wrestling with the centre-half.
  • rick_chasey
    And Carol doesn't?

Crouch scores a lot from set pieces for stoke.
  • verylonglegs
    I wasn't sure on Crouch recent record, if I see Stoke on a TV screen I invariably find something else to look at.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Jamie Carragher as a PUNDIT on itv ???? - The only way is scouse with less tack 8)