Switching Frames

Red_Logic
Red_Logic Posts: 71
edited June 2012 in Workshop
I am planning to switch the aluminium framset on my road bike for a carbon one....
I have already bought the frame (an R 838 style from carbon bicycle) and am new to cycling.
I understand that I may need some tools but basically im asking wether or not I should attempt to do it myself?
Im quite handy and have alot of free time to research into it so what do you guys think?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you can follow instructions, use torque wrenches and, above all, know how to do a bolt up then you should be fine. You can always hand the finished bike over to an LBS for checking and adjustments. Swapping the components over should be easier than starting from scratch.

And obviously ask here if/when you get stuck!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Red_Logic
    Thank you, Il go for it!
    I look forward to posting pics of my completed bike on the forum.....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Firstly, familiarise yourself with the likes of the Park Tool website and the various bike mechanic videos on YouTube. The most tricky aspect of an R838 assembly will be the bottom bracket - the frame uses BB30 or you can use an adaptor to fit other styles of BB / cranks. Suggest that if you are planning to use a press-fit BB30 to BSA adaptor, you get your LBS to install it. Finally, the only other area of possible concern will be the cutting-down of the fork steerer.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Red_Logic
    Would it be ok to cut down the fork steerer and the seatpost (its isp) with a hacksaw? And also is there a special tool needed for transferring the various cables?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    To cut carbon, all you need is a new fine tooth hacksaw blade. A guide is preferable to keep the cut straight. Wrap post with tape, mark clearly with pen, measure 2x more to be sure and then cut carefully, avoid inhaling the dust.
    To change cables all you need is a decent pair of cutters to snip off the crimps. You may need to adjust the cable runs / lengths depending ion the new frame, so sometimes not that straightforward.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    I swapped frames for a mate a couple of weeks ago. It took 2 hours with tea and biscuits included. Going from a 54cm to a 58cm meant that we had to swap cables at the rear (brake and gear) and add a link into the chain. We got all the components off with out cutting any cables though.

So in short- Take your time its easy! Tools required are a couple of allan keys or multitool, chainsplitter and maybe some pliers for cables.