FFS - Carbon Steerer Bung

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Come to fit my new carbon forks, only to find that the Deda Bung I bought is too big to slide inside the steerer.
Does any one know of a smaller steerer bung that will better fit inside?
I'm talking a 1mm or so too big- not a massive amount!

Frustrating!

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Have you backed the central bolt right out so that all the wedges touch each other??
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    A numpty question but have you untightened the bung before fitting?

Looking back through your posts I came across a diagram for forks with an internal steerer diameter of 22.6mm. The Deda bung allows for internal diameters of 20.0 - 23.5mm.
  • rowlers
    yeh, unloosened all the way, not a cat in hells chance it will go in.
    Ordered another to try[m-part], hope it fits.. if not fook knows!
  • BillyMansell
    rowlers wrote:
    yeh, unloosened all the way, not a cat in hells chance it will go in.
    Ordered another to try[m-part], hope it fits.. if not fook knows!
    What's the problem though? When you loosened the Deda bung what was the outside diameter? If the internal diameter of the steerer is so small due to debris then it's unlikely any bung will fit.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,845
    was confused by the title as i didn't know ffs made bungs :-)

did you try manually pulling the wedges fully out? - loosening the expander screw does not always do this as the wedges can stick
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rowlers
    ffs = for f**ks sake lol.
    took the bung completely apart, no way it will fit in. Have googled and seems there are lots of folks with this issue, some bungs fit some steerers, others don't.
  • BillyMansell
    Best of luck with finding one to fit. It's hard to offer sound advice on specific components sizes when someone is unwilling to give information to questions asked about said component sizes.
  • rowlers
    Best of luck with finding one to fit. It's hard to offer sound advice on specific components sizes when someone is unwilling to give information to questions asked about said component sizes.
    Many appologies, missed your reply.
    havn't got the tools to accurately measure both the ID of the steerer tube and the OD of the bung. According to the cad drawing of the forks the ID if the steerer is 22.6mm.
  • BillyMansell
    rowlers wrote:
    Many appologies, missed your reply.
    havn't got the tools to accurately measure both the ID of the steerer tube and the OD of the bung. According to the cad drawing of the forks the ID if the steerer is 22.6mm.
    No worries. I'd gone through your post history and found that diagram so if the ID of the fork is correct then there's definitely a problem with the Deda bung as the Deda bung shoud go down to 20.0mm. Alternatively, if the forks ID is wrong then bugger all will fit.
  • rowlers
    there are others on the wiggle reviews that have also said the deda bung is too big.
    Anyone know what size a hope hed doctor is?
    Fingers crossed - I'll get there I'm sure, just a bot gutted cos I was going for a ride tomorrow! guess I'm not now!
  • BillyMansell
    Not necessarily. If all else fails (and in emergency situations) you can always try the Heath-Robinson approach - set the forks and stem up without the preload, it's just that it's very hit and miss as to rule out play or overtightening.
  • rowlers
    just seen this on carbon cycles:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=7 ... o_consider

Anyone got any experience?
  • BillyMansell
    Without clicking I knew what you were referring to.

It has had mixed reviews that put me off. Look on weightweenies for opinions.

What I've been using for the last couple of years is an extralite ultrastar 2. Expensive but I like good engineering that does what it says, and it has.
  • rowlers
    Without clicking I knew what you were referring to.

It has had mixed reviews that put me off. Look on weightweenies for opinions.

What I've been using for the last couple of years is an extralite ultrastar 2. Expensive but I like good engineering that does what it says, and it has.
    cheers I'll av a look on WW.I'll check the extralite out too ;)
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,604
    Without wishing to bring bad news, The Hope Hed Doctor seems a bit larger than standard IMO. I have one here, and it won't fit in some new forks I've just bought.

I do have this however, bought from Ribble a while back, and it's considerably slimmer to begin with, and can be had in longer version too for more grip. Should do the job for you I'd guess.

ITALHSTZ220_1_zoom.jpg

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/ITM-HEADSET-SPARES-ACCESSORIES-ITM-Carbon-1-1-8-Expanding-Stem-Cap/ITALHSTZ220
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rowlers
    Without wishing to bring bad news, The Hope Hed Doctor seems a bit larger than standard IMO. I have one here, and it won't fit in some new forks I've just bought.

I do have this however, bought from Ribble a while back, and it's considerably slimmer to begin with, and can be had in longer version too for more grip. Should do the job for you I'd guess.

ITALHSTZ220_1_zoom.jpg

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/ITM-HEADSET-SPARES-ACCESSORIES-ITM-Carbon-1-1-8-Expanding-Stem-Cap/ITALHSTZ220
    Thanks for that, it another one to try lol!
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,604
    rowlers wrote:

Only suggested it because it is noticeably slimmer than the Hope one. My el cheapo vernier calipers have the ITM one at 21.7 mm and the Hope at about 23.5.

Good luck! I had all kinds of hassle trying to fit one of these to a Look fork a while back.. right PITA..
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rowlers
    rowlers wrote:

Only suggested it because it is noticeably slimmer than the Hope one. My el cheapo vernier calipers have the ITM one at 21.7 mm and the Hope at about 23.5.

Good luck! I had all kinds of hassle trying to fit one of these to a Look fork a while back.. right PITA..

Could do with a set of verniers TBH, number of times I've needed to measure diameters and never had the tool to do it!
    I've ordered an M-Part one, see if that fits oif not I'll try the ITM out., going to be spending more money on bungs than I did on the forks lol!
  • rowlers
    Update if anyone else comes across a similar issue.
    ITM CARBON bung & top cap us much smaller and has worked perfectly.