Altura bar bag mess

geoffnelder
geoffnelder Posts: 165
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Generally I like my handlebar bag. I make good use of the clear plastic map pouch on the top. Butbutbut... the maps are held in by velcro strips holding the plastic together. On the first hot day the glue went gooey. The gunk gets on my fingers and the maps.

I removed the velcro - it just peeled off - but how do I remove the gluey mess beneath it. I tried very soapy water and Boots plaster remover liquid. Both helped but its going to take hours more before I can glue a fresh self-adhesive velcro strip back on. Carbon tet would've done the job in the olden days when I was a teacher, but schools aren't allowed it anymore.

Any tips please?

Geoff

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    nail polish remover? meths?

careful it doesn't ruin the clear plastic.

I use meths for everything!

or try putting talcum powder on the mess to dry it up then rub off.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I suspect that you, like me, use 'meths' when we really mean 'white spirit'
    Agreed, shifts most things !

OP : if soapy water makes a dent in it but isn't quite doing it, try washing powder
  • geoffnelder
    geoffnelder Posts: 165
    Thanks everyone. White spirit worked a treat. Just have to keep washing my hands now to be rid of the stink!
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    andy_wrx wrote:
    I suspect that you, like me, use 'meths' when we really mean 'white spirit'
    Agreed, shifts most things !...

Nope, I mean meths, purple stuff you can't drink. I use it to clean and degrease bits on the bike including brake disks. i never put white spirit near my brakes, I keep that to clean my chains.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails